1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It just seems wrong that in the lowest scoring Super Bowl ever, and one in which the Patriots' defense was so very dominant, than one or more of New England's defenders didn't get the award. Edelman had a fine game. Was it the decisive factor or provide the most memorable moments? In my opinion, no.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Gronk being Gronk

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Not at all. It was a double slot spread formation with an empty backfield. Edelman was in his normal spot, the slot up top matched against Robey. He ran a short hitch to the sticks (it was 2nd and 3). Gronk, in the low slow got isolated on a linebacker and split wide of him was someone (Burkhead??). The DB on Burkhead quickly tried to help the linebacker and the deep safety came over late. So no, no one around Edelman was involved in the play.

Edelman had a great game. It is what it is. Hell I thought Fred Biletnikoff was a horrible MVP choice too. Clarence Davis should have won the MVP that day. Matt Snell should have won it in Super Bowl III. John Stallworth should have won it in Super Bowl XIV and Dominic Rhodes should have won it in Super Bowl XLI. Plenty of debatable MVP choices.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I would have picked Gilmore, but you make a strong case for Gronkowski.

Yes, Edelman had a great game. But I’d go with Gilmore in a defensive battle. And to tamp down the “Edelman Hall of Fame” nonsense.

nafselon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted