1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LI thread: Now they're coming for you, Rog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 22, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well some are. Dan didn't mention Matty Ice is a BC guy? Bet Lupica will.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah, sucks the championship process wasn't rigged to entertain the media.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan's just mad he has to cover a team he doesn't have a bunch of handy cliches for during his week in Houston. He'll need to learn who many Falcons are, attend press conferences to learn things rather than schmooze with his colleagues about when they'll go to spring training, etc.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I predict a Shaughnessy column telling us he doesn't care much for Houston's traffic.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Boilerplate Shaughnessy. Scoreboarding the Hub over fill-in-the-blank city. Starts by saying he shouldn't rip Atlanta or its fans and then proceeds to do just that. Ho hum.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

At least you knew the SNL Super Fans were a joke caricature. This is just sad.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As someone who has driven both places, I'll take Houston any day. Boston drivers are the worst.

8. Michael_ Gee

I'm not so sure our drivers are the worst as long as Miami is in the US, but our roads sure are. Many acts that look like reckless driving are just efforts by drivers to see what's ahead at visionless crossroads or efforts to deal with entering a freeway from the left and then needing to make a right at the next exit half a mile away, to name some prominent highway architecture issues here. There must have been a terrible substance abuse problem among New England civil engineers in the '50s and '60s.

wicked and dixiehack like this.
  9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Brady's not nearly as likely to pull it down and run as Rodgers, but he feels pressure better than anyone else and knows how to extend a play, or just dump the ball safely if he doesn't see one. He's not fast, but still elusive. He's actually running a little more in his old age...he understands the shock value.

10. Michael_ Gee

Brady's always been a good ducker in the pocket. Good footwork like a boxer in tight spots. He also knows when to just go limp and take the sack while protecting the ball.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I do think there's something to be said for the Falcons starting strong. They've scored a TD on their opening drive in a ridiculous amount of straight games--the TV coverage had it, and I may be wrong , but it was something like seven games in a row. A reason I questioned Green Bay deferring, and the same the week prior when the Falcons deferred and the Seahawks ate up 8 minutes on the way to an opening TD.

If Atlanta gets out early, that's their best case scenario. Jump to the lead, let the defense fly around, and see if they can come up with a turnover. If New England does or gets an early stop or two and the Falcons are chasing, that's where the SB experience v. inexperience could come into play, and the Falcons could start to make some critical mistakes while chasing. Sounds pretty obvious, but guessing we'll have a good idea of the outcome of the game after fifteen minutes.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Always defer. It should be inarguable among the sane.

Draft saved Draft deleted