1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl in London?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jan 31, 2012.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, foofs like Goodell, Stern, Selig and Bettman keep thinking of one word -- legacy.
    If their legacy is to make their leagues fly overseas, it's a check their egos will let them write.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up a couple of towns over from Bronxville, this made me laugh. The mean streets of Bronxville!

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't you say the same about the games in London so far? Sure, the Super Bowl would be a much bigger deal, but the Brits largely don't give a shit about American football. This is insanely dumb.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be fun to read the standard - "this city sucks" column coming from freeloading hack columnist.
    "Its drizzling and foggy, and the people talk funny. The food is nasty, their teeth are worse. Royal Family? Hell, I'll take the Kardashians any day. No wonder the Beatles recorded Help!"

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm not sure it would impossible to stage a Super Bowl in London and air the game at a West Coast friendly hour here. Start the game at 10 p.m. local time (East coast 5 p.m., West coast 2 p.m.). The NFL fans in Europe (and there are a lot more than you think) are already used to staying up. Logistics might be a slight issue, but if they're given a few years to prepare, I'm sure that city would welcome the challenge.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Would Toronto need a new stadium or could they play in the existing stadium?

What do you think a team that Toronto could call their own would draw?

Do you think a Canadian team would increase ratings and hence broadcast rights to NFL games throughout the country.

If the NFL expands to 34 teams I think Toronto might get a team. Outside of LA there really is not a market that brings a lot to the table for the NFL. If the NFL put a team in San Antonio, for example, US television ratings would not be affected. But a Canadian team could presumably increase interest all across the country in NFL football and drive up the right fees the league receives from cable providers and networks in the country.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rogers Centre would barely meet the NFL's 60-000-seat minimum and I would suspect a much larger stadium would be almost mandatory in order to maximize revenues but there is no way a new stadium is being built in Toronto with public money any time soon.

The NFL is huge in Canada and I have always felt a Toronto team would be an enormous success with fans and corporate types right out of the gate.

I remember some years ago reading a story that quoted some anonymous owners as saying they were in favour of the NFL having teams in huge, international cities like Toronto and Mexico City rather than places like Charlotte and Jacksonville.

But they felt that international expansion would never happen because there would be too much blowback domestically from cities that didn't have teams (not sure if Houston was back in the game at that time) like Los Angeles.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Isn't it abundantly obvious right now that LA largely doesn't care (too much else to do) . . . and they
    absolutely, positively won't support anything resembling a chronic loser, given the grand prevalent front-running tradition of the area?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's amazing how neither Los Angeles nor the NFL has struggled since the Rams left. Putting an NFL team in LA is a solution in search of a problem.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That was the impression I got during his presser when every other question seemed to involve putting a team in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile he looks at Toronto as a place that can pro up the Bills.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

Right now, they LA TV market can watch the best games, and add to the NFL's ratings. If they get a shitty team (or two), they'll have to watch their own team instead, or suffer the embarrassment of blackouts.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

You're hired!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted