1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl in London?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rob and Doug Ford have been pushing it hard, for whatever it's worth.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Toronto had a better chance of getting an NFL team back in the 70s before franchise prices went through the roof.

There are loads of fans of every NFL team in the Toronto area (I am expanding that to a 90-minute, two-hour drive from downtown) but they have proven largely indifferent to the games the Bills have played here, partly because it's not our team and partly because of the larcenous ticket prices.

But thousands of fans flock to Buffalo every week - more for the tailgating and social aspect of the games than anything else, there would be no tailgating here. There is also a huge contingent of Lions fans in southwestern Ontario that make their way to Ford Field every week.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

So did Paul Godfrey. And every year some Canmadian journo at the Super Bowl asks the NFL commish the question about expansion to Canada and gets the same non-commital answer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, just a few years ago they were talking about Toronto taking a few of Buffalo's home games. Aren't they playing 1-2 a year there now?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roger, do you think the NFL will ever expand to Islamabad?

The answer would be the same as for London.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think Ted Rogers' death helped quash it in a big way.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One a season, to a largely indifferent response from the media and fans.

I took Huggy Jr. to this year's game when the Redskins were in town. It was his first NFL game - and a dreadful one at that - and the only reason I went is because one of his former baseball coaches is a sales big shot at Rogers and gave us a couple of tickets he couldn't get rid of to his clients. Face value of those tickets was $195. Ridiculous.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yikes. I paid $125 face value for tickets to the Patriots-Colts AFC Championship game at Gillette a few years ago. Seats on the 45-yard line, 27 rows up. I'm sure prices have risen since then, but damn, $195 for Bills-Redskins? No wonder he couldn't get rid of them.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

^^ding, ding^^

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NBC's not televising it.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would gladly trade the Super Bowl for a Champions League final.

Draft saved Draft deleted