1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl halftime show 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Feb 7, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What they should have done this year (And I know everyone would have hated it) was do put together a medley of country stars spanning the past couple decades. You open with Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, jump into Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith, leap over to Garth Brooks and close it out with Willy Nelson.

It's not Black Eyed Peas but it's at least watchable.

I like the idea of Bon Jovi doing it and, if you actually wanted to put together a great halftime show, you get Jay Z to perform at the New York SB in a couple of years. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like Jay Z. He's got the catalog, he's been around for nearly 15-20 years now, he's proven that he's smart enough to put together a family-friend show (Well, at least it wouldn't be as bad as he could make it anyway) and he's got enough star power to carry it himself or enough friends to make it work.

But I'm not holding my breathe. I fully expect the NFL to announce that the guy who sung Mambo #5 is going to be next year's act.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That New York halftime will be interesting given the possible weather issues.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Next year (assuming there is a Super Bowl), it'll be Mellencamp. Probably with a couple guest stars.

The bar's set pretty low for him, since the Black Eyed Pees delivered, by virtual unanimous acclamation on the internets, the worst fucking halftime show in SB history by light years.

For New York/NJ, I see a return appearance by Springsteen (with Bon Jovi as guest star); maybe some kind of semi-Beatles reunion with Paul, Ringo and a couple of the kids.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If they can make it work at the Grey Cup, they can probably pull it off in New York. I think it was around 15 degrees (F) when Nelly Furtado performed in Winnipeg a couple of years ago.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mellencamp is a solid pick for next year.

Has REM done the halftime show? Seems like they could be the choice sometime in the upcoming years.

And while I have no doubt this will draw some derisive comments, one band with the stage presence and show that fits a Super Bowl setup is KISS.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Capt. Kirk: KISS played the PREGAME show of Super Bowl XXXIII in Miami in 1999. Boys were all about 25 pounds to heavy for their costumes. A laff riot.

7. Stevie Wonder anybody?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's done it - not as a solo, but he was part of the "Salute to Motown" held in San Diego.
    For New York/New Jersey, Billy Joel (Miami 2017 - the song), Paul Simon (Late in the Evening), JayZ-Alicia Keys (Empire State of Mind). Bon Jovi (Livin' On a Prayer),

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No "New York, New York" by Michael Buble'?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think R.E.M. is really mass-popular enough for a Super Bowl (and I was, at one time, a huge REM freak). Yeah, they were one of the Tier-I bands at one time, but that was 20 years ago, and before and after that they were really a cult band.

And they don't really have enough of the hard-driving pop hits you need for a Super Bowl halftime. Yeah, they have some ass-kicking rock songs, but most of those are really only known to their core audience. ("Begin the Begin," "Crush with Eyeliner," "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?")

11. Captain_Kirk

I hear what you're saying there, but perhaps a set list of:

Orange Crush
    Stand
    Radio Free Europe
    Superman

Or sub in The One I Love or Fall on Me for any of the above.

12. Captain_Kirk

Two other potential candidates:

Sheryl Crow
    Lenny Kravitz

Draft saved Draft deleted