1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl halftime show 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most people seemed to hate the Blacked-Eyed Peas Tron-like, sound-board challenged performance at the SB halftime. Some liked it. Go figure.

With the Super Bowl next year in Indianapolis, who will be the halftime peformer?

I'm thinking Indiana's own li'l Johnny Mellencamp might be tapped.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Mellencamp would be a better pick to do the anthem or America the Beautiful than halftime.

I don't think he's on that level anymore.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why can't they do an actual band, not a hip-hop artist, group, or R&B singer. And I don't mean a band that has members that are 50 or over. What's wrong, with say, Green Day?

4. Mizzougrad96

I think the list of performers that are big enough and have enough broad appeal to do a halftime show is a short one, and unfortunately a lot of the singers/bands on that list are in their 60s.

I would think Green Day would be on that list.

5. Mizzougrad96

Isn't Axl Rose from Indiana? :D

6. Not on the level of the musically-challenged Black Eyed Peas?

That one's gonna leave a mark.

7. Mizzougrad96

We're talking popularity, not talent.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I don't know why the NFL would choose Mellencamp for next year's game simply because he's regional. The league didn't choose any musicians from Texas (and there are many, many from which to choose) for the anthem or halftime for yesterday's game. Kinda chapped me when I saw who was singing the anthem, even before she screwed it up, that a Texas singer wasn't chosen for that.

OK, rant over.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Willie Nelson would've sounded better even if clouds of Acupulco Gold were rising from his throat.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. George Strait would have been a really good halftime show.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'd be for getting rid of the halftime act altogether, but we know that will never happen.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. They trump the halftime show and commercials so much that folks probably feel like they have to wait till the games on to use the bathroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted