1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl halftime performer announced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Nov 26, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Good: At least it's not some collection of 80-year-olds
    Bad: We might end up seeing one of them piss themselves, anyway.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Because the music market has become so stratified in the last 10-15 years, the NFL is always going to have a hard time avoiding this dilemma: choose a group that is broadly known but old, or choose a group that is more contemporary but which broad segments of their audience know nothing about.

I am 42 and have no interest at all in the Black-Eyed Peas.

My thought: after Prince's performance a few years ago, they just should have given him the gig permanently. That was awesome.

Ace likes this.
  3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I have no interest in the Black-Eyed Peas either, but at least the NFL is trying to get more contemporary with its halftime performer.

What they should do is let the host team submit a list of three performers they want for the halftime show and let the NFL pick one.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I like 'em.

5. I couldn't give a shit. I'm not watching the fucking Super Bowl to see the BEP. Good Lord willin', I'll be snapping off my third Guinness by halftime.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

How about having a band that's germane to the location? Dallas: Local native Beyonce or country music. Nawlins: Connick or some great jazz. Zona: Some tajano staple. Let the host city represent, rather than try to turn each showcase into some homogenous piece of crap.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

as a football purist, who gives a crap? ??? ??? ???

heck, i'm at least tied around here in my adoration for bruce and his estreet pals, but whether the halftime show features them, the bep, beyonce or any country star of the moment matters not one iota to me. makes for some conversation, i suppose, but the super bowl is about the GAME.

those who are more interested in the commercials or the haltime show deserve any spit they're served by the nfl and its advertizers.

this cranky ol' man can't be much clearer than that.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are they even popular anymore?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's the 50th Anniversary. I was really hoping for some kind of amalgamation of every halftime show ever, college marching bands, over the top costumes and floats, a rocket man, a 3D magic trick, some aging rockers, some boy bands, ice skating....could have been great.
    Come to think of it - Fleetwood Mac would have been decent. Or an SF-centric jam session featuring members of Jefferson Airplane, Huey Lewis, John Fogerty, the Doobie Brothers, Tower of Power, MC Hammer, Rapheal Saadiq, and the Dead.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They NEVER do that, Dan. They had the Rolling Stones in Detroit for God's sake. As happened last year, this was just another NFL shakedown. Coldplay's recording company/ticket Mafia connection was willing to pay the NFL tribute, and nobody else was. Geez, what do you think Goodell listens to for pleasure? Probably the whirr of CAT scans revealing brain damage.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Up With People!

Draft saved Draft deleted