1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What was your (the paper you work for, get or the major metropolitan daily) like these past few days?

How did the staffing compare to in years past?

I think the staffing for the metropolitan daily here -- that I used to work for and still write one non-sports story per week -- was three reporters, two columnists and national NFL reporter/columnist.

Did you get any requests for more Super Bowl coverage? That could be unlikely because anyone with internet access and a cable/satellite/streaming subscription could get 24-hour-a-day coverage.

Does Super Bowl coverage help your paper? I know a benefit of staffing a Super Bowl (or any championship event) is making/improving contacts that will have future benefits.

What did you think of your outlet's Super Bowl coverage? Too much/not enough/just right?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A. I’ve written some questionable heds over the years so I empathize with the in-the-trenches folks.

B. Management didn’t directly throw the designer/editor under the bus, but they damn near came close. Was Mike Hiserman in the office that night? If he was, was he just walking around eating pizza and looking at a TV screen? Did the A1 desk run the hed by anyone in sports?

C. In terms of outrageous headlines, that registers at a 3.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I have to believe the key editors were in the office, on the case, for a Rams appearance in the Super Bowl.

5. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

I thought it was a bold headline. Nice job, LA Times.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They'll never top "Champagne with a twist of Lemon" anyway.

7. Josh Armstrong

Josh Armstrong New Member

Definitely agree. They scored 3 points in the Super Bowl. Dunno what everyone expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted