1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl Coach (hearts) Bigots.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is fine and dandy if you want to believe that. But you cannot legally prevent someone from doing so. That is discrimination.

No one is getting injured from two consenting adults engaging in a relationship. Nobody.

Just like I think it is wrong for something to scratch and pick their ass, you can't create a law preventing all ass scratchers and pickers from getting married.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

What makes someone a homosexual is what makes someone a girl or 6-feet tall -- it is who that person is. A person could be a homosexual his/her entire life without engaging in any behavior that others use to define homosexuality.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Would "sexual behavior engaged by people of the same gender" be more specific?

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

I'm not talking about throwing homosexuals in prison. I do, however, have grave concern about a society that would bestow the imprimatur of normalcy on homosexuality. It's very clearly deviant behavior. We shouldn't celebrate it.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It would. But then you're discriminating against gender. You're saying, "You cannot engage in this otherwise-legal behavior because of your gender."

The only other legal comparison would be a situation of statutory rape, where the law is that an adult cannot engage in sexual behavior with a minor. But in this situation, you'd be discriminating against two consensual adults engaging in behavior that is legal for every other consensual adult. And the only difference is that those two adults are of the same gender.

It'd be like saying two white people or two interracial people cannot engage in sexual behavior. And we're long past that, I think.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This is what frustrates me about some discussions here...they mutate so far from the original point that now I have to try and explain myself in six degrees of separation.

I understand the concept of what makes a homosexual a homosexual. I was originally trying to explain the concept of people who say they hate the sin and not the sinner. Unfortunately, I used the word 'behavior' to describe what it is that some people don't agree with.

So, in my attempt to get back to my point, I asked how I could phrase whatever it is that has those who are against homosexuality disagreeing with it. I was trying to come to an agreement so I could move on. That's why I asked for an explanation to describe whatever it is that makes someone a homosexual...

Holy crap....

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Trouser, but that's why the discussion "mutated."

There can be no "hate the sin" here. I understand what you were trying to explain -- but I'm trying to explain that it doesn't apply, and why.

8. Trouser_Buddah

If Christians believe it is a sin for two people of the same gender to engage in sexual activity, how does hating the sin not apply?

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is only "clearly deviant" when defined by yourself. However, the laws of this land were not founded by those like you. They looked beyond that.

When it comes to the laws, you cannot base your thoughts on whether something is or is not what you will participate in. What you base your laws on are what infringes on the rights of others.

So, as long as two consenting adults would like to enter into the legal contract of marriage, which is all marriage is, then they should be allowed to do so.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, they can hate all they want. Personally, I think it's a waste of time to harbor so much hatred but they can believe whatever they want.

They just can't legislate that hatred.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Again, you talk about hatred, but my original point was that it's possible to hate the sin and not the sinner...and you said hating the sin does not apply here.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Which is my point with Dungy. He can't legislate shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted