1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl Coach (hearts) Bigots.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I will also add that in addition to being an outspoken supporter of bigotry, Dungy assisted in raising funds for an organization based in bigotry.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I am hoping the SNL writing staff has taken note of Dungy's comments and takes action on this week's show, even if it's not Peyton Manning doing the honors himself. There's definite killer Weekend Update potential in this story.
    Dungy is God in Indiana right now, and he's entitled to use his bully pulpit any way he wants. But if I were in Colts management right now, I'd put out a statement immediately saying Dungy was expressing his own personal views and not those of the team.

3. What name have I called you? Ever?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I never said you did. I was merely saying that your belief clashing with Dungy's does not mean you have to revert to name-calling to express that you disagree.

The end.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

be·lief /bɪˈlif/
    –noun
    1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
    2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
    3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
    4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

Here's the thing about beliefs. You can hold any old opinion you like, based on religion or whatever the hell else you want. You're free to do that in this country, and nobody can stop you from believing anything you want.

But when your beliefs infringe upon other people's civil rights -- specifically, when you believe that a certain group of people, based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, should be denied the same civil rights as you yourself enjoy -- that's when they move past the realm of "belief" and into the realm of "discrimination."

It is no longer a belief. It is discrimination.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And belief also carries with it a price, as does freedom of speech. Far too many people scream about their freedom of speech but ignore the fact that no freedom we have is actually free. It was paid for by someone, so you could have it, and part of wielding that freedom is accepting responsibility for what you say.

Hope Dungy is willing to accept whatever is thrown his way because of his speech and support.

7. If a guy engages in bigotry and raises money for people who engage publicly in bigotry, and endorses bigotry, I can say all that, but I can't call the guy a "bigot."
    All due respect IJAG, but WTF is that?

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I wasn't necessarily comparing Dungy and White, I simply invoked a theme that Reggie White had espoused that I felt was applicable here.

And, opening myself up to ridicule again, it's easy to paint Reggie White as a bigot because of a few poorly-worded examples he provided in front of the state legislature. He was trying to explain that every race has its own strengths to contribute to the world melting pot...unfortunately, he chose to use ill-informed stereotypes to highlight those strengths...

He embraced all people, and it has always disappointed me that a few poorly-chosen words have left him with, what I feel, is an unfortunate legacy.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

He spoke at a pro-family event. He didn't speak at an anti-homosexual event. You are the people that are making pro-family anti-gay.

10. trounced

trounced Active Member

They've already done that.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No one here has made the "pro-family" event anti-gay. They did it themselves.

If they were really pro-family maybe they would work more on promoting the family instead of actively working to disciminate against others.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, Dungy did that himself.

You can cloak it in religion and "family values" all you want. But when you "embrace" a constitutional amendment that bans gay couples from the civil benefits of marriage that straight couples enjoy, then you are discriminating against gay people.

To me, that is anti-gay. But you can twist it however you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted