1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl Coach (hearts) Bigots.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 21, 2007.

1. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/SPORTS03/703210413

And the Colt you rode in on, Tony.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So because of someone's beliefs, based on a religion, we're willing to say he (hearts) bigots?

I mean, I see the shadowy dots you're connecting...but I think it's a reach. People believe different things. It's not like he's out throwing stones at the gays.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wouldn't throw out the bigot phrase, but it's certainly disappointing Dungy would take this stance.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But is it surprising? He's one of the most vocal Christian coaches out there. I wasn't surprised at all when I saw this story earlier.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You know, it's possible for someone to disagree with something and NOT be hateful.

A theme Reggie White embraced but was typically overlooked was "hate the sin, love the sinner." We can argue forever whether or not homosexuality is a sin or not, but Dungy being against same-sex marriage doesn't necessarily make him a bigot.

Let's try to use some rationale and take a second to separate someone like Dungy from those who just hate gays.

"We're not anti- anything else. We're not trying to downgrade anyone else. But we're trying to promote the family -- family values the Lord's way," Dungy said.

This kind of broad paint brush is disappointing, especially from a group that should know better.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Dungy is correct. I think it doesn't go far enough. We should have a state law that people who lie can't be politicians (against the Ten Commandments)

People who covet can't own luxury cars

People cannot divorce for any reason except adultry but you can't commit adultry because it's against the law.

That's just the start.

7. I believe, categorically, that if you oppose civil rights for gay people -- which is all civil marriage is, a question of equal protection -- based on the fact that they are gay then you are a bigot. Period. I don't care how much Scripture with which you gussy it up. I don't care how nice a guy you are otherwise.
    So, IJAG, yes.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And that's your belief. I won't call you names because of it.

I'm guessing others would appreciate the same courtesy from you.

That being said, I vehemently disagree with Dungy. But the guy's not promoting violence...just stating his belief.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not surprising, though, given his faith. This falls right in line with who he is. I don't agree with him, but that's irrelevant.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but comparing Dungy to Reggie White (RIP) does not help you in an argument to say that Dungy is not a bigot.

I don't think White was a hateful person at all, but more than once he said things that made me think of him as suffering from some level of bigotry. I had similar thoughts of Dungy here.

I like Dungy. I have always respected him as a good coach who manages to also behave like a gentleman. I wish he could give people like Coach Hoodie and Bill Parcells lessons. I don't know him, but he definitely seems like a good man.

That is why things like this are disappointing. It's not surprising. He's a devout Christian and this is what his church teaches. Just sad that he doesn't realize that when you deny a certain group the same rights the rest of us have, you are putting them down.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I just wish the "family values" people who are so loud in clamoring for anti-gay marriage laws would show as much zeal for anti-divorce laws. The damage done by divorces among straight couples FAAAARRR exceeds the "damage" done by gay couples.

To take a religious stance is one thing, but it's incredibly hypocritical when you pick and choose while invoking the name of God.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT.

Along with his belief, he is promoting and endorsing discrimination.

It is quite sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted