1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 54 Commercials Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gillette at least has an excuse. The company is FROM Boston. What's Hyundai's deal? Shouldn't they have had actors with Seoul accents?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you did that you'd be called racist.

3. Michael_ Gee

Most of the Koreans I have met speak unaccented American English. They sound like Californians.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All no doubt figuring it would be the Patriots again.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're the one who suggested they use a Seoul accent.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I worked all through the Super Bowl last night and but for this thread may have missed this magic. Thanks for posting, DO.

7. Michael_ Gee

It was a joke. I have no idea what a Seoul accent is. Never been there. But those Boston accents were pretty damn bad impressions. Any other group besides us Massholes, who don't care, would've been highly offended.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Really? Who knew?

Too bad you can't tell when someone else is joking, too.

And yes, I can see how little you care and how unoffended you are. :rolleyes:

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

What do Californians sound like, dude?

Honestly, my wife said she was glad when they showed it a second time, because she couldn't figure out what they were saying the first time.

10. Michael_ Gee

To Northeasterners, Californians speak American English with no discernible accent.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is more halftime show related, but the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast from NPR is worth a listen - you could kind of tell they had mixed feelings about the objectification of women - but talked more about how the show was a cultural touchstone for Latinx women. Me? I liked it all. The Super Bowl is meant to feature a bloated and exaggerated vision of ourselves.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

All my wife had to do was ask for a glass of water in Philly to be pegged for a Californian.

Draft saved Draft deleted