1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 53 Commercials Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 23, 2019.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Stories about the Bud/corn feud were on the radio and TV here. I heard the words “Bud Light” at least 15 times.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize AB was the only beer advertiser - but it would be nice if another brewer stepped in (Sam Adams maybe) and flamed all of them. Would have been great if they caught wind of the ads ahead of time and busted a "Settle down children, you both suck" ad during the post-game show.

Also - the USA Today AdMeter was interesting - most of the ads for movies crashed and burned. Now granted the audience for the SB is older than the moviegoing audience and probably less likely to be interested in a super hero cartoon type movie.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bud Light sucks, but damn if I won't sit at the bar during a college basketball Saturday and drink the hell out of it. $6 for a pitcher makes it an easy decision.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So I learned last night that there was no CGI, it really was Andy Warhol in that Burger King ad. It was film taken from a 1980s movie by some avant-garde Danish filmmaker/whack job. This is fascinating, but it still fails to explain how Burger King thought its ad had any relationship to planet Earth.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It got people talking about Burger King. Therefore, it worked.

6. Michael_ Gee

IMO the commercial works only if it gets people to EAT at Burger King. Talk doesn't pay their bills.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did you see the Whopper? It was plain and dry and had zero toppings. There has never been a less appetizing Burger featured in a commercial.

8. Michael_ Gee

It was a 1982 Whiopper. The Beta version.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It truly was. The burger looked so bad I assumed it was a Heinz commercial.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If they used CGI they would have made the burger - and Andy Warhol - look better.

Draft saved Draft deleted