1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So NFL Films just presented its updated through last year list of the 10 best Super Bowls ever. Cardinals-Steelers is still number one, which is simply wrong, but what do you expect for the outfit that decided Jim Brown wasn't the greatest player ever? My point, however, is that I got to cover four of the 10 (23, 25, 32, 38) which is making me feel very grateful and lucky right now. I've been out of the business for a decade, and wouldn't go back if I could, but I wouldn't trade those years for anything else, either.

cranberry likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not impressed. Seemed like they went out of their way to find an unconventional No. 1 pick. Is their top choice underrated? Yes. But greatest of all time? Sorry. No.

Some silly mistakes, too, such as including a picture from Super Bowl XL with the 2008 Steelers rather than the 2005 edition.

Batman likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree with all of that, OOP.
    As with any "greatest of all time list" involving the NFL, there are six or seven teams you can make a case for. At some point, they all become interchangeable.
    The '91 Redskins are criminally underrated, but they are not among those five or six teams.

And, for the record, I think the short list is (in chronological order), the '72 Dolphins, '78 Steelers, '84 Niners, '85 Bears, '89 Niners, '93 Cowboys, and 2004 Patriots. With the '86 Giants saying "Hey, what about us?"

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Also agree. They're just trying to create conversation.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll give them credit for putting all 49 on one page and not making you click through 49 pages (not counting ads) to go from reverse order from 49 to 1.

I've sworn off all click-bait lists that do that.

jpetrie18, bigpern23, SFIND and 4 others like this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

CBS Sports "simulated" a tournament involving all 49 of the Super Bowl champs. The 1985 Bears beat the 1996 Packers in the title game........

9. Michael_ Gee

'85 Bears, sure, I can see that. But I could name a dozen or more Super Bowl champs I thought were way better than the '96 Packers. Must've been a lot of upsets in that tournament.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Broncos 24
    Panthers 17

Manning-MVP

Announces retirement on May 2....same day Elway announced his after winning his last Super Bowl.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

NFL Network showing Super Bowl IV film right now as part of the annual marathon. Best of 'em all. Keep on matriculating that ball down the field, boys!

Chef2 and JackReacher like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

65 Toss Power Trap! Has anyone ever been a greater unintentional comic than Stram in this film?

Draft saved Draft deleted