1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You mean like that Richard Sherman fella?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Sure. Perhaps it takes a devastating loss to be humbled a bit.

In my mind, there is no way Carolina loses this game, but I would wouldn't mind seeing it.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Someone cite one thing, printed or broadcasted, that ripped Cam Newton for anything this season. No one is afraid of a black QB. Not after Williams, Moon, McNabb, Vick, Cunningham, McNair, Garrard, Wilson, et al.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are working members of the media the only people whose opinions are allowed?

Because there are a lot of people -- I believe they are called "fans" -- who have been ripping him all year for his touchdown dances and general happiness.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I know, right? It sucks to see someone having fun. I am usually of the get off my lawn variety when it comes to such things, but I agree with the idea that if you don't want to see him celebrate, then stop him. I don't particularly like the celebration of every single first down, but I know it's not going away. I guess I've just come to accept it. And Jameis Winston seems to have a similar enjoyment for the game. I find it refreshing, actually.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which is why Cam needs to chill. Fans rip the players on other teams whether they're white black or green. Does he think he's supposed to be immune from that? Non-Pats fans hate Tom Brady. Non-Broncos fans or non-Colts fans back in the day hated Manning. Cam doesn't have the right to not be hated by other fans. It's what they do.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How long has he been an African-American quarterback?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's what you're hated for, hondo. Newton, IMO, has the right to say what he's hated for has more to do with the haters than with him, because it sure does. But if I were teaching a PR class for pro superstars, I would start with a statement by 18th century Russian general Marshal Suvarov -- "many enemies, much honor."

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true, but that word ("hate") has just become so overused it's pathetic. Disagree with the celebration of a first down, or (horrors!) dare to pick the other team to win a game, and "They be hatin' on us!!!!!!" becomes the quote.

And the "Don't want to see us celebrate? Then stop us!!" line is off the mark, too.

It's like the person who refuses to say "Excuse me" when he bumps into you declaring, "Don't want to see me acting rude? Then stay out of my way!!"

No, YOU are responsible for your own classy behavior. Not the other person.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BTE, I have some sympathy for your view. When I was in high school in the '60s, our head coach was a serious tough guy, as in shot down over Germany and 18 months in a camp with bullets in his leg tough. Never raised his voice because he never had to. We were taught never to make a sound in warmups or show emotion after big plays. "Act like professionals," we were told, the Packers being the big thing at the time. Well, times change, and public displays of emotion are more acceptable. There's a big difference between being happy you did something good and being rude to other people.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's fair. I'm not at all a fan of the celebrations, but I have accepted that it's not going away. And the opponents getting offended by it just seems like sour grapes to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted