1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunshine Patrol at it again:Atheists sue Rick Perry, a former Democrat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Sunshine Patrol at it again:Atheists sue Rick Perry

It's Onward Christian Soldiers, Charlie Brown!

2. Re: Sunshine Patrol at it again:Atheists sue Rick Perry

You're just not looking in the right places. It's like when people say they hate Christians. It's because they're only exposed to the loud-mouth idiots. Whenever there is a large group of people, a few jerks can give them all a bad name.

For some interesting, insightful and happy talk from an atheist, look up lectures and books by Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins just to name the most prominent of them. You could, I suppose, say Hitchens and Dawkins are sometimes not so nice, but you could say that about anyone who spends so much time in debates.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

More people voted for Democrats in 2008 than voted for Republicans in 2010. What's true for the Rhythm Method of birth control is also true for politics, timing is everything

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Certainly there was a general enthusiasm in the black community in terms of voting in 2008 and the chance to elect the first black president. Some of that was genuine and in terms of breaking a barrier, was a great thing.

But there were also the Harlem voters, both black and white, that the nation's favorite shock jock found. And I personally witnessed women in our town driving functionally retarded people to the polls for early voting and having one tell a person who couldn't do anything but groan (here's where you mark it) and seeing them get out of a van with an "Obama 2008" sticker. Sorry but watching this guy he didn't know whether he was marking a ballot or a coloring book. That happens again, hey, re-election stands a good chance of happening.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

As a taxpayer in the state of Texas, do I get to request that Perry specifically says a prayer for the success of the Texans next season while he is in Reliant having his prayer session?

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Prayer can't help that team. It's the curse from firing Bum that even moving the Oilers didn't help. And it's there. The Bills comeback of Jan 93 says so.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

And yes, he was a Democrat before he turned Tea Bagger.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/15/3224994/rick-perry-began-political-career.html

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think there is less overlap between the religious right and the tea party than people may think. I've seen several letters to the editor and online comments where the tea party types were gung ho for pulling the church's tax exemption.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

But if you tax the church, you marry the two institutions and separation of church and state becomes very, very blurred.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I could see that from the more libertarian Tea Partiers, but they've been pushed to the margins once the holy rollers arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.