1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suns-Spurs suspensions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, May 15, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. The league knew just how bad it was going to look suspending Stoudemire and Diaw, so they suspend Horry an extra game to try to balance it out.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are right - but that is just plain wrong. What the Suns duo did is written into the rules --- there is no wiggle room. To punish Horry because of their stupidity is flat out wrong.

3. Boognish

Boognish Member

As is rewarding the Spurs for playing like thugs, which is ultimately how this will go down.

4. zagoshe

The Spurs may be a phsyical team --but the Suns broke the rules. There isn't much wiggle room for argument.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So did Tim Duncan the other night. He didn't draw a one-game suspension, though.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Making the rule subjective is fine because the only person who makes the decision is the same person who can review that decision, Mr. Stern, as we learned in the Carmelo Anthony appeal/suspension. I hope the Suns somehow can pull this out.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

I didn't get a chance to hear Stern on The Dan Patrick Show today but I'm guessing he was asked to justify the suspensions.

Here's what I think.... Horry got two games because of two incidents. He blasted Nash and then forearmed Bell. There was no "balancing out." It's that simple.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

ESPN.com story about Stern on TDP Show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2872357

Here's something interesting...

NBA executive vice president Stu Jackson brushed aside a suggestion that Duncan violated the rule in the second quarter when he rushed onto the court after Francisco Elson dunked and landed on the shoulders of the Suns' James Jones.

"Both players got up," Jackson said. "There was no altercation, and they ran down to the other end of the court."

9. zagoshe

Correct me if I am wrong but Stu Jackson hands down the fines and suspensions when it comes to on-court incidents like this

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Some NBAInsider on ESPN, can't remember who, wrote about this yesterday. They are subjective on flagrant fouls and what constitutes a technical and what warrants an ejection. Put it this way do you think the refs would have T'd up Amare or Diaw for their actions? They need to revisit this rule. I understand the spirit of it and it is necessary, but stepping onto the court should be a $50K fine, and actually getting involved would be one game suspension. The 50K would discourage players from doing it, but would avoid foolishness like this where the best series in the playoffs is going to be decided by this rule.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One thing i have noticed in today's athletes is a team that is highly motived will usually win.

Right now the Suns have an MVP and they are highly motivated. I actually think they are going to win the next game w/out those two.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I never have seen a play as dirty as that on a basketball court in my life. I was not alive for Kermit Washington's punch, but how anyone can justify Horry's cheap shot is beyond me.

One game? Should be gone for the series.

And you can thank this series for the off-the-bench rule:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted