1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunken Pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, May 26, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Got sent to cover one of our last remaining area schools in the baseball playoffs at a ballpark with a sunken pressbox.

Field level is about 2 1/2 feet above the pressbox floor. When seated, my line of sight is maybe three feet above the playing surface.

It's definitely a different perspective, but it makes it tough to judge how well a fly ball is hit.

Are there any other ballparks out there with this kind of setup? It's kind of like being in the dugout seats they used to have at Dodger Stadium.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was there a man with a big hat, bigger mustache and a radar gun next to you?

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

No, just mee in a little 6-by-4 cubicle with a radio guy on the other side of a divider.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Is the field located on an old bombing range or something?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sunken Pressbox Live is my favorite Jeff Tweedy album.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Don't forget the cigar.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know of one that's at field level with the stand on top of it. Makes it a pain to see the near corners of the field when they play soccer there.

8. The guy at the Dodgers' games right? What is his story? I don't cover sports so I don't know, but I did grow up watching the games on TV with Vin Scully and always wondered ...

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's not, but the surrounding terrain (that vast cultural wasteland known as West Texas, as my English IV teacher would call it) makes it kind of hard to tell.

The facility is only about four years old and is on the same lot as the host high school.

However, there are a lot of pumpjacks nearby. Maybe they thought they'd hit another well if they dug deep enough.

10. soooo ... why not watch the game from somewhere else?

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I always thought that guy was the inspiration for the Panama Jack logo.
    [​IMG]

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted