1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunburn so bad I'm getting the chills

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 31, 2009.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Bomb the Vitamin E orally, too.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I burn horribly easy, too. We used to go to Phoenix every other summer to visit family and everytime I'd get so sunburned, I'd blister. I can't use Aloe Vera or really any kind of lotion because it makes me blister up every time. I usually take a lukewarm shower that I end up turning really hot to bring the heat out of the burn immediately. Tylenol or Advil will also help. Sunburned skin tends to be swollen, so the anti-inflammatory will help.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Advil definitely helps. Takes the warm glow off.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

If you do have to go to the emergency room for sun poisoning and the doctor offers you a choice of taking a shot (eases the pain in 12-24 hours) or pills (eases pain in 1-2 days) ... be sure to go with the shot.

Learn from my experience(s).
    Yes, two trips to the ER for me. ;(

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I got sunburned as well yesterday but only on my head. I was using sunscreen too but I guess six uninterrupted hours of sitting directly under the sun while watching girls lacrosse championship games negates the little sunscreen I had applied to my head. Oh well, makes for good jokes.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I was around 13 or 14 we had a family vacation at the beach - while I was down in the sand there was a smoking hot chick in an outrageous bikini - I plopped down near by and just stared at her (behind sunglasses) for about an hour (burnt to a crisp). I get back to the house and knew something was wrong when my uncle started calling me "Crazy Crab." Spent the night freezing, then burning. Couldn't sit in a chair - had to lean over an ottoman. My uncle kept making me laugh - so I'd start laughing than cringe in the pain - it was brutal - and funny. Ah to be young and stupid.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

a trip to tampa in '82 was my worst. fell asleep poolside. was pretty lathered up except for my ankles and feet. ouch!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

was walking on my heels for a couple of days. couldn't put on socks. don't remember anything but time and loads of aloe doing anything.

my heartfelt sympathies. we probably all can relate to at least one time or another.:( :( :(

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Urea is much better than Aloe. Urea is absorbed into the skin. Aloe is topical.
    Take it from someone that's spent a better part of his life in the desert. The gave us Urea in the service and it's best if you find a product with it. The Topix Urix or AquaCare lines are the ones I'm familiar with. They can be pricey, but in severe pain, it's worth it.
    That and a gallon of water a day.
    Good luck. Hang in there.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You want him to piss on it? :D

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The thought of that burns MY skin.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The best sunburn story I got came during Officer Candidate School in Newport, R.I. We were there in the summer, and somehow the uniform shop ran out of ballcaps. We wound up marching around all day, newly shorn, and showed up the next day with fluorescent heads. Our drill instructor called us "My Little Grapes" because we were all various shades of red and purple.

Later on that day, I was sitting in class and began to feel my head. I noticed a substantial bump forming on the left side of the top of my head. I raised my hand for a medical timeout, and they sent me to the hospital for a check. Wound up being a big ol' blister which slowly moved down the side of my head as the week went on.

We all eventually felt like Ally Sheedy in "The Breakfast Club." You have a tendency to run your fingers over what's left of your hair when it's all cut off, and as our heads peeled, we created quite a few winterscapes on our desks during class.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Me too.

In fact, I've got scars on my shoulders from an all-day beach volleyball tournament I played in back in the early 90s. That was not a fun recovery.

My wife is a fair-skinned redhead. She make me put on SPF when I'm getting the mail.

Draft saved Draft deleted