1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Web editor writing in vain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FishHack76, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Regarding this site vs. chat rooms, however ....

On this site some people like to stir stuff up and others post racist or sexist or tasteless comments sometimes not really aware that people might find it objectionable.

But you know if you go to a newspaper site on a story about a black or Hispanic guy being shot by a cop, you know that 75 percent of that post is going to be outright race baiting.

Hell, I could predict every single post. Same as if someone with a foreign-sounding name is killed in a car wreck.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments and explanations.

I still don't see how anybody who is sane can justify reader comments on the basis of us getting clicks.
    Allowing racist, sexist, infantile, vulgar anonymous reader commentary is sleazy. It's money grubbing. It turns us into the stereotype of what people think most reporters/editors are: trash.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not all reader comments are vile. The thing is, you had to decide whether you let it all in or none.

No newspaper has the resources any longer to pre-screen all web comments.

But most have a button you can push if the comment is objectionable and those get dealt with fairly quickly.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

If these things are a golden road to online revenue, one would think they'd be paying for themselves.

I'm being facetious, but I just find comments frustrating. I don't miss having to deal with the fall-out from them as a reporter, and as a reader they turn me off 90% of the time. I feel like comments are one of those things you should either do right or not do at all, and I've seen precious few papers who're putting the energy into doing them right.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. I am not going to wring my hands over the stupid comments. Either allow them or not but I would rather have 2-3 investigative reporters doing real work than 2-3 people spending their time screening stupid comments.

You folks who think that newspapers should edit or screen these really can't find better uses for those man hours?

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know what they say about TV, and channels, and how if you don't like something?...

The same concept applies here: If you don't like comments, or find them frustrating to read, well, then...don't.

7. Fredrick

If you want to run a business the right way, then do it the right way.
    You run comments ... you get rid of the racist/libelous stuff. This is a management problem. Management should be finding the time to patrol their much beloved comments sections.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you're going to have them, you have to screen them. Do you want your paper to be known as a hangout for racists or illiterates? You have to protect your brand.

9. Fredrick

Amen. Sadly somebody sold these newspaper publishers this bill of goods in which they do not care if their paper is known as a hangout for racists and illiterates.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yes, most self-respecting papers prefer their proud traditions of being hangouts for drunkards, hacks and tight-asses.

11. There's a context for misogyny? Please explain.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's easy -- if there are no women around.

Draft saved Draft deleted