1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times told it should do more cost-cutting by... wait for it...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I realize that, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was pointing out that even if business is good, it's bad. It's like a fad now -- cut, cut, cut.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Amen. A-fucking-men.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know. ;) It's better now after a martini (or two) and writing some Christmas cards.

(Yes, Frank, I write them. They're not formulaic or standardized. But, I did buy a gift or two online.)

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The ones who did it yesterday are providing cover for those doing it today, who make it that much easier for those doing it tomorrow.

It's almost like these publishers and newspaper owners are worried they'll get talked about and snickered at at the country club by other publishers and owners if they don't cut staff, newshole, travel budget and ambition. Even if they don't have to.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So despite its circulation good news, BusinessWeek lost $20 million this year, according to the New York Post (second item. Romenesko links):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12142007/business/so__whats_the_frequency_at_the_atlantic__23697.htm?page=0

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

This is the same way it happened at Knight-Ridder, wasn't it? Except that fuckstick shareholder convinced/coerced Ridder to sell the whole damn company because newspapers' future wasn't bright enough.

At least that's from what I read. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of it.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No firsthand knowledge of that fuckstick shareholder (Bruce Sherman) who since has unloaded all of his newspaper stocks.

Why did he bother to get into it in the first place, long enough just to fuck up things worse than they were?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And meanwhile, they're giving readership every excuse to give up reading the paper or cancel their subscription. The Sun-Times is still a pretty good paper, but it's "leadership" like this that will drive it to the level of the Southtown Star or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted