1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Practices Crappy Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JPSS

JPSS New Member

The second article came back with three unnamed sources. (and note that the supposed sources are talking about Davis' father asking for money from them, none of the sources confirm that a deal between UK and Davis was made.) Assuming that's true and they simply don't want to have their names made public, why hasn't any other journalist been able to corroborate this ? Doyel and others have already said they've looked and haven't found anything.

But regardless of that, if O'Brien is so sure of the fact that a 'deal' was made between UK and Davis, along with the details, why hasn't he named the third party who is supposedly behind it ? And presumably someone at UK must have sanctioned it ? Why not name him also ?

Jon

2. JPSS

JPSS New Member

I admit I can be longwinded at times, but if you go back and read what I actually wrote above, you would know that's not true.

Jon

3. JPSS

JPSS New Member

For anyone interested, below is a link to a UK blog with an interesting recap and take of the entire fiasco so far. I found it to be certainly plausible and frankly starts to make sense of the Sun-Time's bizarre behavior to date. Here's a sample.

along with

Much more at the link below.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=57785

Jon

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Why hasn't any other journalist been able to print as much? Because different reporters have different sources.

It was BS of Greggy to tweet as he allegedly did. So he looked and couldn't find anything. If he doesn't have O'Brien's sources or those same sources don't trust him he won't get the same story.

I know my main competition and I have sources who overlap. I also I know I we have sources independent of one another.

Why hasn't he named a third party? Maybe he doesn't have the name. Maybe there is more than one person.

I'll be watching this unfold. My money is on the Sun-Times winning because Kentucky/Coach Cal might not want too bright a light shined in their faces.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The person who wrote that UK blog doesn't know what they are talking about. The fact that the reporter wrote "sources said" doesn't hide them from a libel suit.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well that certainly appears to be reputable blog and an unbiased account of what has transpired so far. ::)

7. JPSS

JPSS New Member

I think you didn't completely get my point. My statement about UK not NEEDING to cheat to be successful is my basis for wanting Calipari or whoever is the coach at UK gone if it was found he was knowingly breaking rules.

I'm not saying that UK isn't cheating now (nor am I claiming that other top programs, including UK, haven't cheated in the past as you seem to imply). I don't have any evidence that they are cheating, and frankly neither do any of you (since if you did I'm sure you'd be rushing to accept your Pulitzer by now.)

Having said all that, I presume that we are in agreement that Kentucky and Calipari do not need to cheat to be competitive. If that's not accurate, and you're actually arguing the opposite, then I'd certainly be interested in hearing that theory.

Jon

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's one word that'll keep Kentucky (or pretty much any big-time program) from ever taking this sort of thing to court: Deposition.

Big-time lawyers asking about ANYTHING they want, and the guy on the receiving end is Cal?

G'night, Irene. That prospect reduces this to a bunch of people in Pikeville and Hazard bitching about the libruhl media, and journalists (rightfully) wondering how the hell that first piece ever happened.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. 1 Matt Jones is an idiot. Please don't read his blog.

No. 2 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let JPSS be Jon the UK fan from Owensboro who was on the L.A. season of the Real World. Please?

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Owensboro is German for "shithole"

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My comment on that blog explaining why it is entirely wrong on the legal issue (which was the basis for a large chunk of the post) was deleted almost immediately. Hilarious.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted