1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Practices Crappy Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sun-Times calls UK's bluff.

First story was poorly executed, but this is ballsy.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Maybe the first story was more a rough draft that was rushed into print so it would get a response, setting up Kentucky to have a bomb dropped on them.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the Sun-Times can make Kentucky fans choke on their righteous indignation, they deserve a Pulitzer. No, a Nobel.

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I still think the first story was poorly executed — basically saying, here's the rumor, who knows what's true and what isn't?

However, while I'm still not crazy about all the anonymous sources, the second story has more meat.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Second thought: problem is, if the kid already picked Kentucky, don't the other three schools have incentive to throw him under the bus? Especially anonymously? (I don't know that they would, but there's that lingering doubt.)

They do have the "recruiting analyst" on the record in the first version as saying the rumors are out there, but he sorta deflates that statement when he says that often happens.

They're in a tough spot after the first piece, but I think I still need someone on the record.

Looking forward to how this plays out, though.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should be interesting. Wonder if Davis will still end up at UK.

I think the last place UK wants to be is in court, though.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Always nice when visitors from Big Blue Nation drop in to give a lecture. I see their trademark paranoia hasn't gone anywhere.

It was a dumb decision and poor journalism to include that line, but I'm confident it wasn't done as a "desperate attempt" to generate hits or to perpetuate a secret Sun-Times agenda against Kentucky basketball. More likely the guy has been hearing this about the kid so much, for so long, from so many off-the-record sources that he could no longer resist the urge to throw in something about it.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd say UK's decision to threaten lawsuit can fairly be categorized under "huge miscalculation."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. UK tried to buy the blinds with a bluff and the Sun-Times went all in.

Can't imagine what UK was thinking, trying to make this a public pissing match.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

From Gregg Doyle's Twitter

greggdoyelcbs Goodman, Katz, Parrish, Forde, none of them could find ONE school to say it. The S-T's preps guy found THREE schools to say it? Riiiiiiiight

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In a case of a player like this, I bet a well-connected high school reporter in Chicago hears a lot of talk from coaches who would clam up if Andy Katz came calling.

Now, the coaches may just be just passing on gossip they have heard and would never go on the record.

Draft saved Draft deleted