1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Media Photographer Makes Stuff Up, Gets Fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why oh why oh why oh why would anything think to do this? Or think they can get away with it?

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/07/22/sun-times-fires-photographer-for-making-up-names-and-quotes-for-question-of-the-week-feature/

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now she can work for Journatic and the Tribune. :D

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or ESPN.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

She apparently got away with it before being caught. Why she did it, she was lazy. Over the years, I've heard many photogs and writers complain about the question of the week. I've had to do it and it is a pain in the ass assignment. However, no excuse to do what she did. I wish her well in her future endeavors.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I'm a little unclear. Did this person have pictures of people and make up the quotes or did they just have quotes that they made up and fabricated names for said quotes instead of going out on the street and talking to real people? Just wondering.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/microsoft-announces-firstever-quarterly-loss,28860/

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Onion was the first thing I thought of.

I love that The Onion only uses 4 or 5 photos of the interviewees, and each time it's a different name and occupation.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a similar deal at the Reidsville Review several years ago.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'd love to be a photog just so i could do that.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I had to do this for a weekly rag I worked for one summer. Dear God that was torture.

"Hello sir, I'm from Podunk Weekly. I'm looking for people interested in participating in our Community Voice Question of the Week. Would you be interested in participating?"

"Well, what's the question?"

"Do you think that President Bush's new education reform will increase..."

"The only bush I like is between the legs of a blonde."

"Sir, I don't think my editor would allow us to publish that quote."

"Then you can take that camera and shove it up your keister."

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When we were forced to do "Question of the Week," I would conveniently forget to do it rather than lie.

Our publisher, who read the paper about once every three weeks, never really noticed and we were able to quietly drop the feature.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Perfect. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted