1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times Media Group bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow. Those town hall meetings should be a lot of fun.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I always loved the Sun Times. Bye bye Sun Times.
    Maybe it'll go all online. That'll be fun.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If I'm reading it correctly, they sent the memo out Tuesday, and the meeting/conference call was at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Which means that anyone who comes into work after 10:30 won't have had any fucking idea about the meeting/conference call. Classy.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

No COBRA? Jerks.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Let's see — in the last couple of months the Sun-Times has had writers covering spring training, Illinois in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments, etc. And they aren't going to be reimbursed for expenses?

Granted, I would imagine they were on corporate credit cards (at least I would hope so). But there have to be some expenses incurred outside of those cards.

Yeah, I would have loved to have been at the "town hall" meeting.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hurry up and get them in so we can NOT pay you!!

Sent: Tue 3/24/2009 2:51 PM
    To: All STNG Employees
    Subject: Message from STNG Accounts Payable Department

Date: March 24, 2009

To: All Sun-Times Employees

Subject: Accounts Payable Invoices

In order to ensure timely and accurate recording of invoices, we request that all outstanding invoices are approved and sent to the Accounts Payable department as soon as possible. In addition to sending current invoices to accounts payable now, please have all future invoices approved and submitted on as timely basis as possible.

Also, if you are holding disputed invoices for any reason, please send a listing of these items, with appropriate information including vendor information, dates the goods or services were received and the nature of the dispute or open item to my attention.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Alan Denney
    Corporate Controller

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More:

Expense payments owed employees are going to be paid.

In addition to the mandatory furloughs, each property (Sun-Times and all the suburban dailies/weeklies) has to reduce expenses by 15 percent as soon as possible. Halbreich said he hopes that will be done by the end of next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted