1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times: Happy New Year! You're fired!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 69Z

69Z New Member

Layoffs in Philly last year started the day after New Years, with calls to the home phone. If you picked up, you were told you were done. If you didn't answer, no message was left. Following day, word was spread that if you didn't answer when they called you at home, you would be fired, with no severance.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We got a list of names yet?

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

OK, from what I hear, the editors played fast 'n' loose with the layoffs list, claiming that some folks with less seniority were needed for their special skills. I don't deny that strict seniority is a flawed system, when it comes to saving jobs (in terms of a quality product), but I sure would be ticked off if I had been paying union dues for five years and wound up on the bricks before somebody who had been on board for a year.

How does the Sun-Times union let this sort of thing happen? And if it can't prevent it, then how does that union justify its existence and continued grab into employees' pockets?

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Cookie moved some guys he liked into protected jobs/budget slots that wouldn't fall under the seniority chain of people getting laid off. Can't blame him for that and there's likely not much the union could do about it. As the editor, he can presumably fill positions and/or change job titles as he sees fit.

5. Cooke is nothing more than a slimy prick with one hell of a women's shoe fetish.

Once he handed down a mandate that there wasn't enough "happy news" in many of the suburban pubs. Said people weren't buying the paper because there was too much negativity. Can't help it that we're in an area with a lot of crime and corrupt politicians. Well, we started putting really soft, feature stuff on A1. Looked nice, but there was no substance to it. Readers complained in big numbers, wanting to know what happened to all the good, interesting stories about their community they were used to.

Thanks Cooke, for driving away more readers and killing that stock price even more.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yes, that sounds like Cookie. YOU DON'T CARE!

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

From Michael Miner's blog in the Chicago Reader ... It doesn't have the full list, but it does have some of the names.
    http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/news-bites/2008/01/24/shrinking-sun-times/

From what I hear, this might just be the first round.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Jennifer Hunter is the woman who revealed Cooke's not-so-secret women's shoe fetish to the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted