1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times freelancer scolds high school basketball team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter Lippmann, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ..

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Sun-Tines freelancer scolds high school basketball team

"We are not the story. We are the story tellers."

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cannot be reposted enough. Thanks, spnited.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would he have rather them played a five-overtime deadline killer?

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah. We've all watched shitty games. You just mock them in your own mind, file and move on. I can't imagine what would possess one enough to do that.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Sun-Tines? What the fork?

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Stupid to start a fight you can't win.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The coach let a writer in the locker room to deliver a stern talking to? Wait what?

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm still puzzled how all this came about. Did the coach ask the writer to talk to the team, or did the writer just walk into the locker room and start lecturing them? The story doesn't say.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Something unclear about this, too:

(The video was shot by Mike Kosman of websportschicago.com. He wouldn’t speak on the record – he didn’t sound happy with me – and hinted that he would be taking the video down. Update: He did.)

Why would the guy have posted the video in the first place if he didn't want attention drawn to it? Or did he post it because he actually thought the lecture was a good thing?

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The Sun-Times should have paid the videographer for the video the posted it to the newspaper's site. Think of the web clicks it would be brought.
    Then the powers that be could have condemned his actions while still benefiting from them.
    I know that sounds like sarcasm, but I'm actually surprised someone in a suit didn't do it.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

Some of the Sun-Times freelance articles are really poor. I saw a preps article last spring and the entire article had the players for each team flip-flopped and that was only the beginning of the mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted