1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Sentinel Cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 19, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You good?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend who works at the S-S said the new system with one boss commuting back and forth between two papers is "a complete and total disaster" and that morale there is worse than it's ever been.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes I feel like I'm a pager salesman and the whole media world is just passing by.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Tim's a good guy, but no matter how many trips he makes, he's based in Orlando. It's an unwinnable situation for everybody involved. Just like Charlotte-Raleigh. I haven't seen either Fla. paper in several months, but the way they shared entire pages -- with different fonts -- was jarring. I hope at least that has been resolved.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Honestly, I get the Sentinels, Sun-Sentinels and Suns confused.
    Are the layoffs that triggered this thread from the same paper where, from the Jobs board, they bumped up a guy to a better job and are now going to hire to fill that guy's previous job??

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Same paper.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

OK, thanks. Different budget or something? (I used work at a place where they did layoffs as the same time they were landscaping the parking lot -- different budget.)
    At our place, we can't get rid of talentless non-producers because they won't be replaced. It's better to have crappy staff than reduced staff.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The SS is short a writer, who previously covered high schools and other non-prep sports. The cuts mainly came on the production side instead of content, but it sure does seem strange the paper is advertising for a job while laying off others.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm with SoCalDude: Paper is, in essence, saying "This job and the person dutifully filling it are now deemed so unimportant we're putting that worker on the street, while happily accepting applications for another low-level job. Good luck!"

10. Copy editors are great if you want quality, but keeping more writers is better if you care about quantity.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And that's what's happening everywhere.

12. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

It often comes down to dollars -- hiring cheaper. Otherwise, the copy editor who was laid off could have moved into that job or some other shifting to avoid a layoff. The mother ship, the Chicago Tribune, did that two years ago after laying people off.

Draft saved Draft deleted