1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Sentinel cuts coming soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 9, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Here's a list: Utility veteran Craig Barnes takes the buyout voluntarily (at least that's how it's designated):

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From what I hear, this is the first list. The next list will be the involuntary one.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From "what you hear".....?

Yeah, since that list on the blog has almost each name followed by "(voluntary)", I would say you would need to be pretty tin-eared not to figure that one out.

4. Mizzougrad96

Right. My point is they're not done.

I'm not trying to be cute here. A close friend of mine is reportedly one of the possible cuts that are likely to be announced later today. Who goes and who stays was contingent on how many took the buyout.

5. Mizzougrad96

He's not listed, but supposedly Charles Bricker is out in sports. I have no idea if it's voluntary or not.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bricker is now on the Daily Pulp list. Bye bye French Open, Wimbledon, etc. Bye bye one of their top NFL guys.

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

Oh my goodness! He's so veteran and so clutch... Kind of a curmudgeon, but I'm sure he'd appreciate that.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

With these kinds of random cuts, I'm sure the reader will get a better product and subscribe at higher rates.

I often wonder what percentage of the execs at these shops are canned. B/c if there are money problems who should be held responsible? The people putting the strategic plan together or the ones in the trenches?

9. Mizzougrad96

In most situations, it's pretty easy to see who's getting cut.

Are you sharing a beat?

Are you the "national guy" for any of the pro beats?

Are you covering golf, boxing or tennis?

Do you have a job that requires you to live a significant distance from your paper's base?

I mean, we're all fucked, but if you answered yes to any of the aforementioned four questions, you're really fucked.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Brick is rock solid.

Pro's pro.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

The managing editor of the Sun-Sentinel "retired" a few weeks ago.

12. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Bricker would have been wise a year or two ago --- when Marvez left ------- to volunteer to return to daily beat coverage on Dolphins. Their beat writers need the help in more ways than one.

Draft saved Draft deleted