1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Sentinel cuts coming soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently South Florida is about to get hit. It hasn't been announced yet, but the cuts are right along the same line as Orlando and Chicago, so no real surprise there. They're expected to lose five in sports.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is that the Trib magic number? Five in Chicago. Five in Orlando. Jeez.

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I have a couple of good friends working over there in several departments, and they are pretty scared about the upcoming cuts. They said it's not a fun atmosphere there right now with everybody wondering if these are their last days at the paper.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

With five here, five there and five over there, the sports journos shed from Tribune Co. could put together a pretty good little staff of their own. Strategically positioned around the country, too, to save on travel costs.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A basketball league? I laugh to keep from crying. They do seem fixated on five. Most seem to follow a pattern, too. A writer. A manager. A designer. A copy editor. A wild card.
    Who thinks up this shit? When Durham hacked during the changeover, it was the No. 2 paid person in every department slashed. The second-highest paid sports writer and second-highest paid sports desker were gone, no consideration given to ability or contributions or anything else.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The randomness and lack of consideration of all factors in these things is breathtaking in the worst sense -- with Scott Carter being the poster boy for idiocy at its worst.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Reminds me of every bank holdup/hostage movie I've ever seen, when that moment comes for the bad guys to make good on threats and toss out a body. They start scanning the room while all the poor slobs try to avoid eye contact. And we as viewers quickly calculate who we think will get chosen or root for/against a certain selection.

At least in the movies, the bad guys wear masks and wield automatic weapons. In Tribune Co. and other newspapers, they wield red pens and wear shit-eating grins as they eenie-meenie-minie-mo you.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

Because I've been there (as far as part of a Singleton extinction) ... reminds me of the old Jack Benny routine:

Mel Blanc as holdup guy: "Alright buddy, put your hands up. OK, c'mon now ... gimme your money. C'mon ... it's your money or your life."

Pause.

Blanc: "C'mon buddy."

Benny: "Don't rush me, I'm still thinking."

9. Mizzougrad96

These are supposed to come down today.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The sports desk, which was recently shunted into a universal desk, is particularly on edge.

There is no feeling that there is a proper advocacy among higher-ups for one of the most talented units in the building.

Hope nothing exceedingly stupid happens.

11. Mizzougrad96

Like Orlando, this is another section that I love and will hate to see it get ruined.

Unfortunately, that's become inevitable, especially at Tribune papers.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted