1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sumo's biggest star retires due to drunken brawl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Update. I heard this evening from a Japanese friend and sumo fan that the big guy--Asashoryu, I won't attempt it again--cried in his farewell interview with NHK. And, unless both the government and the sumo association reverse fields, he is out for good. Both he and his wife are Mongolian citizens; unlike Takamiyama (Jesse, the first great Hawaiian sumo wrestler) for example, he didn't get Japanese citizenship.

He has left Japan, and if my friend is right, won't be allowed to return except perhaps as a tourist. Starman justice. He's said to be "hiding out" in Hawaii at this time; how a guy that size hides out, I don't know.

Concerning the pay of sumo wrestlers, my friend tells me that their fan clubs contribute extra goodies to them while they are active, but it's true; their salaries don't even compare to Japanese baseball players, for example.

Disclaimer: I'm quite sure about Jesse's Japanese citizenship. The rest is hearsay.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He's still ok for the Kumite, right?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

maybe because it's not. in pass blocking you can back up 10-12 yards as long as you keep the defender in front of you. in sumo you'd lose before you back up that far.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If he finds a good plate lunch shop, he'll fit right in.

5. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Chiyonofuji, 80's super star, would have made it as defensive tackle. Watch the quickness out of the stance.

Draft saved Draft deleted