1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Workshops for High School Journalism students: Still Valuable?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

At Long Beach State this week, there is a weeklong session for high school kids to learn journalism.

http://web.mac.com/amara_media/Newspapers2/Home.html

I know these happen at many, many journalism schools, each year.

So: as more and more young people want to change the world and thus explore a career in journalism, is it still worth it for them to pay their money, get intensive training, and seek this out as a career? Or are these now more money grab than effective tool for teaching tomorrow's reporters?

(I suspect there is no "state of the business" session at these things).

2. Speedbump

Speedbump New Member

The short answer: yes. First, too many high school students are graduating lacking the ability to string a real sentence together, especially in my area. It is almost amazing the level of illiteracy. Through programs like these, students learn how to write clearly, concisely and accurately without realizing they are actually learning. They also learn to do it fast. That will not only aid them in college, if that is the direction they choose, but is a job skill that can set them apart from the pack, no matter what the field.

I volunteer at a high school journalism workshop every summer, so money is not a motivation for me. I enjoy the energy of the students, who despite every frank conversation we have about the state of the business -- and there are many -- they still want to be a part of the future of news. Will every single one of them end up doing something in news? Absolutely not. But many will use the writing, editing and multimedia skills in other fields. And hopefully, they will remain consumers of news for years to come.

Now, I cannot speak for every workshop. Some have fees that rival a state school tuition, which is ridiculous. But for the ones who are doing it right and for the right reasons, it can be very positive for the students.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The worst that can happen is that they pick up a few basic skills and make good freelancers down the road.

The best that can happen is that they learn to string together a few sentences and become productive, literate members of society.

I loved my high school journalism experience, and would do it over in a heartbeat.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just got finished working with some youngsters. Pleasant experience and I felt as if I was giving something back to the business. I felt puzzled when they asked me if they should major in journalism in college.
    I didn't lie. I told them that it wasn't a good time in the business and they would be wise to major in something else while still in college. They can always write and edit and it would benefit them should they not land a newspaper job in four years.
    Kids are pretty smart. I think they see which way this business is headed.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Agreed. Did Indiana's twice as a student, worked it once. If nothing else, students get a little taste of what it's like to be in college. I see no downsides here.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted