1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Vacations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 29, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It can happen.

Which is why I eliminate that option. My vacation requests are made before the year even starts.

The only time I ever carry over to the following year is any comp time caused by the occasional six-day week (or five-day work week in a holiday week). And that comp time is the FIRST thing I submit when the next year's vacation request is submitted. This year I submitted 31 days (20 vacation, 4 personal, 7 comp). Two more extra days were worked in the meantime . . . so I added two days to the end of my August vacation.

I got called in last Friday on an off day because someone else was gone. That day is going to be added to the end of my October vacation. The person I had to work for sure as hell didn't feel any guilt. And neither will I.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's an idea.

If your place pays you $20/hour, give them $40 a week back and say you'll only take $19/hour.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

I don't know anyone with all the creature comforts you describe and never have. I do know my father worked almost 40 years before he ever got more than two weeks vacation, and my mother, who worked part-time, never got any at all, and they both died before they were able to enjoy retirement, so I don't begrudge anyone, anywhere getting and using as much vacation as possible while they're alive.

And incidentally, in some of those other countries, they actually live longer, and have a higher standard of living, than here in "13 vacation days a year" America:

UN Standard of Living Index:

1 Iceland
    2 Norway
    3 Australia
    4 Canada
    5 Ireland
    6 Sweden
    7 Switzerland
    8 Japan
    9 Netherlands
    10 France
    11 Finland
    12 United States
    13 Spain
    14 Denmark
    15 Austria

4. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

The fair way to do this, Pete, and the way my shop does in, is everybody picks one week at a time in order of seniority, until we all run out of weeks.
    To have people picking ALL their vacation time before you get to pick a week sucks.

That said, my last job before this one, I was turned down for every vacation request even after it was use-it-or-lose-it time. When I left, I went to the human resources guy and told him. They paid me for the lost time, no questions asked.
    Hopefully your situation won't come to that but always something to keep in mind.

5. No bias at the U.N., I'm sure.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Corrected!

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I made sure to put my summer vacation request in in December. I always put my requests in as early as possible, even though I'm in charge of scheduling and vacations. I've actually rearranged my vacation time before to allow others in the department to take theirs when there was a conflict. Most conflicts can be avoided if there's a system -- whether it's seniority or first-come, first-served -- and it's communicated clearly (and occasionally repeated). Of course, once staff size begins dwindling, then you make-do. I'll work extra shifts before I tell someone they can't take a vacation.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

At our place, the whole month of June and the last three weeks of the year the sports department looks like a ghost town. You can go a whole month or at least a few weeks without seeing a guy because of overlapping vacation.

Our vacation (I've been around long enough for three full weeks) is either use it or lose it. No carry overs. We make sure that everyone gets to use every second of their vacation.

A normal week for everyone is 50-55 hours from mid July to mid May, so when you've got time off coming, you get it even if something has to not get covered.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

What are you, on dope?

Considering you got more vacation weeks in one year than I've gotten in my last, umm, a lot of years, I would have taken the five weeks just to fuck 'em.

10. statrat

statrat Member

What are these vacation days that everyone is speaking of?

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And this is the problem right here. People, you are entitled to your vacation. Take it or risk burnout. You're not Jon Gruden, and your place won't stop production if you're not there.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Moddy, if you wouldn't mind passing along those days you have no need for, I'd appreciate it. Gracias.

Draft saved Draft deleted