1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Vacations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 29, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, we all admire the leadership role that Italy and France have taken in making the world a better place.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

How could they? They're on vacation.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last I looked, the UK has a pretty big role in making the world a better place.

Every country listed there has nearly twice the amount of days as a U.S. worker. You would think that the most powerful country on Earth could give its workers at least one extra week of vacation?

4. Maybe we can get the government involved in that, too.

Listen, if you don't like your company's fringe benefits, you can always seek out other employment.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

A mid-sized daily, and only three employees in sports?

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To say we're short-staffed is an understatement. It's why taking time off is all but impossible.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, I could go live in Italy or France!

My point is that since the U.S. is the world's lone superpower (for the moment), you would think that companies would try to make life easier on its employees. Instead, you still have politicians who want to go back to the 19th century and make people work 80 hours a week for 10 cents an hour.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Hey moddie, 5 weeks is NOT too much vacation time, especially if that's what the company is offering. In this country, sadly, people think even 4 weeks is too much or is a luxury benefit of that job because the average in this country is like 13 fucking days off. Even the Japanese - who sleep on their way home from work - average twice as much as us.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Those other countries give more vacation time because their governments require it.

Our country, as a rule, does not cotton to such government intervention as telling private companies how much vacation they must give their employees.

And unemployment in those countries is higher (although how much higher is subject to debate).

And finally, one-third of Americans DO NOT TAKE all the vacation time they have. Americans leave an average of FOUR vacation days on the table every year.

This is a workaholic country. Period. It's not the fault of the employers.

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I strongly disagree. I get at least 4, and I know I'm in the extreme minority, but employers are the reason people don't get more vacation time, and they're the ones laying on the guilt trip when you want to use all your days.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, please. I dropped the ie years ago.
    Anyway - five weeks is a luxury that doesn't work in your average 29-member sports department. Four weeks is more than fair. When they went to five, a bunch of us actually asked for more money instead. I love my time off as much as the next person but five weeks is a bit much.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not employers' fault that government does not mandate four weeks.

It's not employers' fault that one-third of Americans do not take what time they do have.

It's not employers' fault Americans leave an average of four days on the table every year.

And no "guilt trip" will ever make me request fewer than the 24 days I generously receive every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted