1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Vacations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Okay

So I'm in a three-man department at a mid-sized daily.

Sports ed. has booked his vacation weeks for the year. All of them nine day stretches (weekend, five days vacation, weekend — makes sense).

Other guy, same thing.

Me? I keep getting denied. Well, we need you to work there's X Tourney to cover this day. There's X track meet that day.

With the other two guys' weeks, some important dates on my beat, August and July are COMPLETELY out of the question — and I've been told as much.

May and June? I keep getting denied for the reasons above.

Am I wrong to be frustrated? And what should I do? The other two both got their weeks. And this is NOT a problem is any other department: cityside, copy desk, etc.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who is doing the denying? The SE?

3. Pete Incaviglia

Yes. Despite the fact he's scheduled three of his weeks on top of stat holidays too boot.

Basically, me and the other guy have to work those three stats, and then cover his three days owed later in the year. Sure, we're granted three days at a later date too. But that said, I can't even get my regular vacation days, so you can only imagine how hard it'll be to get those three days at a time that benefits me.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So have you asked him what's up?
    People have to cover for people on vacations. It's that simple. Most of my staff had five weeks - yes, five, which is way too many - so we had to have some overlap and some missed events. Seniority always ruled in conflicts.
    Managing vacation is a pain in the ass but you can't just say no whenever it creates a scheduling problem.

I had five weeks for the final five years of my career. Used all of it once. Too much.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should talk with your union steward.

6. Pete Incaviglia

That's the thing, I have two weeks vacation - yes, just TWO - this year and he's denied every request to date. And I'm running out of options.

And it's like you said Moddy, some things will have to be missed — in this case, it's a track meet and one game; and neither are in the same weeks I've requested off.

Agreed, seniority rules. And I'm low man, so I pick last, but that doesn't mean I get shafted like this. I still should get the vacation days that are owed to me in full. I.e. I get my two days off, five vacation days, two days off, like everyone else. I just shouldn't be allowed to get first pick or premium weeks in the summer, etc.

I thought of this. And I'd have a case. But I don't want to do this until it's a last resort. I did email my frustrations to my sports ed., who is NOT a good communicator or personality, and will undoubtedly feel/hear flak from him. He'll see it as something it's not. I like the guy, and I'm not a guy to take things personally or make things personal. This is simply a work issue I want resolved.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At my place, vacation bids are put in every six months. They are granted based on seniority. If there is a conflict, seniority rules, but that person goes to the bottom of the list for the next conflict. That conflict could come the next bidding period -- it's not just for that bidding period. It's also spelled out in our contract that if you are granted the five-days off in a week, you get the weekend before and after off.

The contract also says full-week or more vacation bids take preference over shorter requests.

If that's the way things are supposed to be done at your place, you will win. If they don't like it, tough shit. They'll have to find a different way to fuck you over. Make it clear they don't get to do it without a fight.

It's fun to be MBTG! (Message Board Tough Guy)

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Make it real simple Pete - You get to take some vacation this summer or you take it during football season.

On a serious note, put the ball in the SE's court. Ask him when is a good time to take vacation.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . or get paid double-time for the time.

10. In Exile

In Exile Member

Average number of vacation days for the average worker by country:

Italy 42 days
    France 37 days
    Germany 35 days
    Brazil 34 days
    United Kingdom 28 days
    Canada 26 days
    Korea 25 days
    Japan 25 days
    U.S. 13 days

What a country.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Sounds like the SE is a douche bag who doesn't give a damn about at least one of his staff members.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I would basically flat-out tell him: OK, YOU tell ME when I can take my vacation.

Don't need to be rude about it. Just say, hey, I've got these two weeks I've got to use, I know there will be conflicts with the other guys ... you tell me when to take them, and that's when I'll take them.

Draft saved Draft deleted