1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer vacation suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Mitchell, South Dakota.

Visit the Corn Palace.
    [​IMG]

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well the group is pretty flexible.
    Vegas, whitewater rafting, Vegas, Florida and deep sea fishing, Vegas, D.C., Philly/Jersey. But those are the past trips. It started in 2001 and the smallest group was 10, the largest was, umm, more. A couple of those trips were for weddings. This time around, no weddings.
    Some have included baseball game outings.
    Shortest trip was four days, longest was eight.
    We're all media whores or former media whores.
    Myself and at least one other principal post here. I suspect at least two more browse, maybe three.
    Hi, ya'll.
    On a side note: I heart Chicago. My favorite big city or at least the ones I've been too.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots and lots to do in the summer here. Coors Field. Boulder. New Belgium in Fort Collins. Whitewater rafting. Bike trails galore. Same for hiking.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We did horseback rides, white water rafting (and canoing for the younger ones), fires at night and lots of alcohol. Wouldn't be a get together with my family if there wasn't a lot of beer and other alcoholic beverages.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Grand Canyon
    Yosemite
    Pac Northwest
    Maine

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Everyone can be there on 15 minutes.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you love Chicago, find a rental on the lake north of the city. best of both worlds.

I prefer Sanibel Island, Fla.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Does the party play golf? Because if so, then Cape Cod offers beach plus great public courses. Of course, so does Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, etc.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Actually, I did all of the above this summer, and had a blast doing it. I left Tacoma, headed south to Crater Lake, along Hwy. 395 to Reno/Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas and the Canyon.

It took me about 10 days to visit all those. You could cut a couple out, like Tahoe (not the best in the summertime) and Vegas (since you've already done it).

Everyone fly to Seattle, rent cars, pile in and go.

Or, http://www.crater.lake.national-park.com/lodge.htm, there was a ton to do around crater lake, if you like the out of doors, like hiking and camping.

Or, if you guys are waterbugs, you could do Tahoe. Rent a cabin and some boats. Do some hiking, gambling and eating in between.

I'd pay a bunch of money to do Yosemite again, when I had more time. Hiking, lodging, watersports, simply too much to do at Yosemite.

Or, if your pockets are a little deeper, head to Alaska for a fishing/sightseeing/canoeing trip.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Santa Fe is great, but not for kids. I remember going as a kid an being soooo bored while my parents oohed and ahhed over the museums and shopping and history and stuff. Great place for adults, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted