1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer school valedictorians: The running NIT thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I hate the "we" thing tremendously, too, when it applies to professional sports teams. But if it's the college you went to, and spent $150,000 to attend, you can call it "we" and get no complaints from me.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

mjp - I might be willing to look the other way on that one!
    I used "we" when I worked at VCU. I figure getting a signed check from the school qualified.
    "We" didn't make the NIT, though. Relegated to the CBI and a crowd of 793 at GW. But it was a loud 793.

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Oh, working for the school counts as "we-able" for sure!

I went to Duquesne, and "we" have an exciting CBI fray tonight at hated rival Princeton. Should be a fun atmosphere considering: A) It's the CBI; B) The schools have no history; C) It's St. Patrick's Day, and there's a lot more to do than sit through a CBI basketball game; and D) Princeton is on spring break!

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Looks like W&M isn't the only one to do this. Go to www.nit.org and look at the title of the website.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Dukes underachieved this year. They had the talent to be better than that. The A-10 being tough this year made things difficult, but I still think they should have finished a few teams higher in the league.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Pretty entertaining game at Carmichael last night. W&M and UNC looked like they were happy to be playing, which is always a key in the NIT. Every time I looked up in the second half somebody was swishing a 3-pointer. Tribe hit 16 of them for the game, but went cold in the final two minutes and lost by 8. Expect the Heels will see pretty much the same type of game (lots of 3's) when they visit Starkville on Saturday, except that Varnado gives State an inside presence W&M didn't have.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's NIT games this weekend? Why would the NCAA put those head to head with the big tournament?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I saw a NIT game at Comcast Center (wonder if they're going to rename it XFinity Center with Comcrap's new name) a few years ago.

They could have played it at Cole Field House, which has history on its side (but no air conditioning). Or they could still have played it at the gym that was the team's home before Cole. Ritchie Coliseum is still standing. Perhaps that might work for a CBI venue.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Didn't you hear?
    The committee chair had a press conference and said they'd dropped the ball and State should have been invited. So, to make amends, they are allowing them to play Saturday alongside the actual NCAA tourney teams.
    They even provided a high-profile opponent to make it seem even more like an actual NCAA game.

Or, you could look at it this way:
    The powers that be are taking a gradual but deliberate approach.
    First they start playing NIT games on the same days as NCAA games.
    Then, they finally just go ahead and expand the field to 90-whatever.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Dear 8-pound, 6-ounce Baby Jesus:

I have not always lived an exemplary life. But I have forgiven those who have trespassed against me and been, all in all, a decent fella.

So if you could see to it to send those whiny orange-and-blue assholes home from Stony Brook with a loss tonight, I'd appreciate it.

Your humble follower,

OnTheRiver

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't know if it means that much.
    Roughly 10 percent of the field is from New Jersey.
    Roughly 10 percent comes from Ohio.
    Roughly 10 percent comes from Illinois.
    Roughly 7 percent comes from New York.
    Roughly 7 percent comes from Alabama.
    None of it has any particular appropriateness or meaning, I don't think.

One of the Mississippi teams, Ole Miss, is leading Troy by 15 at halftime.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Entertaining first half (for NC fans) as Heels come back from initial 16-4 deficit to lead by 3 at halftime.

Ole Miss over Troy earlier in the week, then Memphis last nite.
    Rebels and Mississippi State on possible collision course at MSG, perhaps.
    State's gotta find its way past NC first

Draft saved Draft deleted