1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer School Valedictorians: The NIT running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't see any of the NIT games tonight, just some highlights. Including the one of the Penn State guy hitting the game-tying 3-pointer at the end of regulation.
    Great shot. But what struck me most was the crowd. From the standard TV shot along the sidelines it looked like a great reaction. Lots of fans going nuts, right on top of the action.
    And then they showed the replay from the floor-level camera under the basket. The one that showed no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- anywhere else in the arena. It was like there were maybe 10-15 rows of people, all standing, and no one else in the entire gym.
    NIT or not, that's pretty damn embarrassing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290760213
    (There's a video with the recap where you can see what I'm talking about).

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely looked like most of the arena was empty. Lots of students, but that's about it. That definitely helped Mason stay in the game, I think. Wasn't enough, though. Ah well.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where's the CBI thread? Is that college basketball's postseason version of the special olympics?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or the CollegeInsiders.com Postseason Tournament thread?

5. Gotta realize these games are thrown together with 48 hours notice and they're not part of season ticket packages. So, students might still come out, but adults aren't likely to drop $20 each for tickets for a game that, ultimately, most people don't think means anything. Having said that, I just bought tickets for Penn State's second-round NIT....just before seeing that a couple of different papers needed stringers for that game. (Damn, could have made money and still been in the building).

Anyway, these first round games never have large crowds...though the buzz somewhat builds and some places...meaning by a quarterfinal game, they'll be a respectable crowd. Of course, I suspect no one will be at NIT games over the weekend with the big boy tourney drawing all but the diehards to TVs.

There was nobody at the Notre Dame game last night...made that Penn State crowd looked huge. It also would have been interesting to see how many people would have shown at Rupp for the NIT. Instead, the nostalgia of playing in Memorial seemed to draw an enthused crowd.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I guarantee if Mason would have been given a home game, the Patriot Center would have been packed. It's a lock.

So, it depends on the team, I guess.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Indiana fans are not surprised. Heck, Mike Davis is even squandering a few of the same players he squandered at IU.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered a CIT game last night. Had all the postseason feel of a November non-conference game.

9. Mizzougrad96

I mean, I guess I understand why some of the mid-majors agree to play in this thing, but for christ sake, if you don't make the NIT, maybe it's a sign you should pack it in for the season.

I know that will never happen, because teams can benefit from the extra practice time and so on, but this is just ridiculous.

10. Mizzougrad96

I just read they had 8,300 at Rupp last night. I wonder how long its been since there were that many open seats there.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They didn't play at Rupp. They played at the old Memorial Gym.

As for the CIT and CBI, not only are they insignificant, teams have to pay-to-play, making them even more asinine.

12. Mizzougrad96

They probably didn't want to disgrace Rupp by playing a NIT game there.

Draft saved Draft deleted