1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer reporting internship - Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael Phillips, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips New Member

Deadline to apply is Dec. 15.

We are seeking a summer intern to be a sports reporter at the Richmond Times-Dispatch. We've had a run of winners and would love to keep that streak going.

This is a paid internship.

Application: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Reporters and Photographers

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You'll never match the guy they had there in 1976.

But seriously, this is a great opportunity. Fabulous town, terrific staff you can learn from and if you're willing to work, you'll come out of it with an impressive collection of clips.

Make sure you negotiate a lunch of sushi and tots on Michael's dime.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Of all of the culinary things going on here, Sticky Rice having some of the city's best tater tots is one of the weirder ones.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No shit - but daggone if it doesn't. If I still lived there, I would take them up on their tattoo offer. Last time I was there, it was with Michael and I discussed that very topic.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I interviewed for this internship in 1975, for what would have been the summer between my junior and senior years at Three Chopt Tech. It was pretty much a courtesy, set up by Ed Swain; I didn't get the job, nor did I deserve it, honestly.

But got to sit in Bill Millsaps' office for 45 minutes and he gave me some tips after reading my clips, and advice about searching for a job. And I did deliver the RTD to the dorms on campus in 1975-76 (a fraternity brother's dad was a big honcho in the circulation department), so I can always say I worked there.

Moddy, our mutual friend CC was interning in the features department that summer before landing her full-time gig that lasted until her untimely death. The next summer I was off to North Nowhere for my first full-time job. I think my college SE, Barry Barnum, worked there as a part-timer taking scores.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I work with Saps closely now in my current gig. What a treasure that guy is.

Draft saved Draft deleted