1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer movie blitz!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Wolverine was horrible. I actually told my girlfriend it was OK to go ahead and take a nap and I'd wake her when it was finally over. She regrets not taking me up on the offer.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"hey, when I said 'live long and prosper,' I wasn't kidding."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

BRoth, I think this is what you meant to link. The miniseries was simply titled "Origin" and it revealed the story of Wolverine's youth. I'm assuming at least the beginning of the movie is based in this. I'll find out for sure Wednesday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(comic)

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I knew I wasn't the only one.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait...does it show his body? Because I'll go if he's in spandex.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here are the good things about the Wolverine movie: he chomps on a cigar in one scene and spars with the Blob in another. And he gets off the "I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do ain't pretty" line.

Here's the other good thing about the Wolverine movie if your mind is controlled by estrogen: Hugh Jackman's butt.

Here's the bad thing about the Wolverine movie: everything else.

The part that lost it for me is when the guy reveals the gun with adamantium bullets as a way to stop Wolverine two seconds after the supervillain sharpshooter bites it. "Sorry, forgot to give you this special gun!"

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah. Why Stryker didn't give the pistol to Agent Zero is beyond me.

Gambit was alright..besides the part where he sits on the fire escape ladder like a kid boggled my mind.

I wanted more missions from the team, more Wade Wilson smart ass remarks as well as more of him, and why exactly did Scott have those glasses to protect his eyes? He didn't have them until he met Xavier as the first student/recruit.

I just finished X-III and I'm going to say, minus the butchering of the Phoenix, and the sorta lame ending, it was better than Origins.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, and then Gambit has to fly Wolverine to the island and Wolverine has to jump out and swim there.

Meanwhile, a fire truck shows up. It drove over a 200-yard bridge.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I had no idea Victor was Sabretooth. None, until I read this thread. I, too, was lost on a lot of the connections that would have been clear had I read the comics. Though I understand where comic purists don't want the movie dumbed down to please outsiders like me.

I liked the movie. Wasn't as good as the first three, but then those are phenomenal. I reeeeeeeeally liked Hugh Jackman naked. Yummy. Ryan Reynolds was good, but I always feel like they CGI'd his head on someone else's body. Gambit was a great character, although again, I was unclear on what his powers were until I looked it up.

My first reaction, though, coming out of the theater: THAT was PG-13? You can show a guy getting shot point-blank in the face, can show torture (tank scene), can show crash victims sticking out of helicopters, can show decapitations (plural), but can't say the word fuck twice? Something is seriously wrong with movie ratings.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bold film, this one. Not just another tepid walk into a franchise.

It's going to make a lot of money and a lot new fans.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's just me - but is every other movie out this summer featuring people who can fly, or have big awesome jet packs? I can't tell the difference between Star Trek, Wolverine, GI Joe, Transformers II, Terminator Salvation. The Geeks have inherited the Earth.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ain't it great?

So say we all!

Draft saved Draft deleted