1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer movie blitz!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Liked Transformers: 1 because I came in with no expectations of it being a good movie. Just needed to see some giant robots blow stuff up. That was covered. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the chuckles I got out of it and two hours later, I couldn't complain. Also, Megan Fox is attractive. As long as you don't think too much going into the movie, no reason why it can't be entertaining. As everyone's said. It's Michael Bay.

I have watched the trailer a couple times. I can't see how this movie will be good in any way. The acting talent is probably there, save the Wayans, but while I'm sure it will make money, I cannot see this being respectable. In all fairness, it's probably the equivilent of Transformers.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Might be too late for that, though I'd still like to see the Avengers movie pull in Spider-Man and Wolverine as well.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Saw it tonight. I give it a B-, maybe a B. Not in the same stratosphere as the first two X-Men movies, but about as as entertaining as the third one.

You're right about not spending enough time on the 'origin.' Maybe this is just me not having read very many of the comics, but

SPOILER ALERT!

... I had no idea where they were going with the origin story in the first half of the movie. Didn't know anything about bone claws, didn't understand the war-hero angle and and didn't have a clue how all that fit in with Stryker's "experiment" that they focused on so much in the other movies.

That said, it wrapped up better than I thought it would. And, other than two cringeworthy Die Hard-esque action sequences, it was still pretty entertaining.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

buckweaver, you are correct that part of that is just not reading the comics. From what I can tell, they borrow liberally from a miniseries a few years back that explained Wolverine's origin, though the connection with Sabertooth is far more vague.

I'm not expecting great. Just hoping for mindless fun.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, it's plenty fun. Wolverine's my favorite X-Men character, and I was entertained by this one. (Like I said, I cringe a little with the blatant CGI/Die Hard action scenes, but I know a lot of people still like that stuff. So it's cool.)

Just really had no idea where they were going with it for the first half of the movie, because the story feels so vastly unfamiliar from any of the three previous X-Men movies (characters are completely different, and nothing ties in with the others until the end*), and I suspect part of that is me not being much of a comic book guy.

* But again, I thought they did a really good job wrapping it up and tying it in to the rest of the movies.

6. "Friday, beeyotches!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The only one I care about is Star Trek.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

Haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure what's in or out, but I assumed that they would use storylines from the comic series that came out eight years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(comics)

Part of that series deals with Wolverine's time in Japan, which will supposedly be the plotline for a potential sequel: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/01/jackman-hints-that-wolverine-is-headed-to-japan-in-the-sequel/

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

did anyone stay until the end of wolverine?
    i've heard that they did another scene after the credits that sets up a sequel.
    but that different theaters got different endings.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Two scenes, one midway through the crawl and one at the end.

SPOILERS BELOW
    /
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \

Stryker is approached by an investigator looking into the death of the military officer.
    Ryan Reynolds slowly stirs and says, in so many words, that he wants to take his shirt off in the next movie.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Anything else would be highly illogical.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job as Wade. I mean, pretty darn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted