1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer movie blitz!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Looking over the release schedule for the summer, and it's pretty front-heavy IMHO.
    http://www.moviefone.com/may-movie-release-schedule
    Lots of interesting-looking stuff, but only a few "locks" for me.

May 1 — X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Won't be there opening night, but certainly within the first week.
    May 8 — Star Trek. Will see the first weekend.
    May 15 — Angels and Demons. Eh, maybe second or third week, but I'll definitely see it.
    June 24 — Transformers 2 Maybe.
    July 1 — Public Enemies. Second/third week.
    July 15 — Harry Potter. Might be there opening night.
    July 31 — Funny People Maybe.
    Aug. 21 — Inglourious Basterds. First weekend, definitely.

What else is out there that folks can't wait to see?

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I don't know about "can't wait to see," but I'll probably be checking these out ...

Wolverine
    Star Trek
    May 21 - Terminator Salvation
    June 5 - The Hangover and Land of the Lost (probably will wait for DVD on both tho)
    June 12 - Moon
    Transformers 2
    Public Enemies
    July 10 - Bruno
    Aug. 7 - GI Joe: Rise of Cobra
    Inglourious Basterds

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Public Enemies" would be a definite must-see if it was directed by anyone else. Michael Mann has directed some of the dullest high-profile movies of the past 20 years.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bruno comes out July 10?

Wonder if I can convince the wife that we should see it on opening night, which is also our anniversary? :)

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm really only stoked for "Transformers 2" after seeing the ShoWest coverage. I'll admit, I'm a TF nerd and having said that, I'm really bummed Jazz got the axe, Jetfire seems like an old man and not the badass he was in the comics, lame new characters like Mudflap and Skids instead of getting some good G1 characters like Prowl, Inferno, Hound, etc., and the fact Bay is going pretty deep in TF lore with The Fallen (who will probably get the justice Venom did in Spidey 3). Wow, that was lame.

I'm kind of excited for the new Wolverine movie (aka, X-Men IV since they all seemed Wolvie centered). Was initially disappointed in Gambit but then he was given his red eyes (I hope it's all the time). Really surprised at the amount of time Cyclops seems to be in the movie as well with Emma Frost. I hope they don't butcher her character since her arc and story is very intriguing (Hell Fire Club).

Never been a big Trek fan, but JJ's installment looks like it might be fun.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

May 1 — X-Men Origins: Wolverine. - YES
    May 8 — Star Trek. - NO CHANCE
    May 15 — Angels and Demons. YES
    June 24 — Transformers NO CHANCE
    July 1 — Public Enemies. YES
    July 15 — Harry Potter. NO CHANCE
    July 31 — Funny People - NEVER BEEN MORE EXCITED FOR A COMEDY
    Aug. 21 — Inglourious Basterds. YES

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No way am I ever watching Star Trek or Harry Potter. Haven't heard of Angels and Demons and most of the others.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Public Enemies looks like the only one that won't be a steaming pile.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Angels & Demons is a far, far better book than Da Vinci Code, though I think some of the early trailers tended to give away the villain of the piece. That may just be because I've read the book though, and I knew what to look for.

Definite first weekend must-sees:
    Star Trek
    Harry Potter

Wait a week or two:
    Angels & Demons
    Wolverine
    Public Enemies (though if this movie is half as good as its cast, Johnny Depp is a lock for an Oscar nomination)
    Funny People (saw the trailer Saturday before Adventureland and it actually looks funny. Plus Eric Bana! Native Aussie Accent! Woot!)

On the fence:
    Transformers
    Terminator:Salvation
    GI Joe (though having Christopher Eccleston in it is a draw, in a train-wrecky sort of way)
    Land of the Lost (too young to have any kind of fear of Sleestaks)

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Some movies that I'm looking forward to this summer:
    Terminator: Salvation (big fan of the series and it looks pretty good)
    Up (probably the safest bet to deliver)
    Away We Go
    Year One
    The Hangover
    The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
    Taking Woodstock
    Public Enemies
    Final Destination: Death 3D (guilty pleasure)
    Inglorious Basterds
    Funny People
    Bruno
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (probably the best trailer of this year)

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am a huge Michael Mann fan. But I can see how some may not like his work. I can't wait to see Public Enemies.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm boycotting Pelham on principle, Boston. I avoid remakes like the plague.

Draft saved Draft deleted