1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Means Yacht Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They should just call the yacht rock - Anything Michael McDonald had anything to do with. Yah He Be There.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Basically 80% of everything that Casey Kasem spun in the year 1980 qualifies. God, what a shit year in American music.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not everyone can get yacht rock.

The world needs ditch diggers, too. Or factory workers to listen to their Eagles and Bad Company all day to get through the shift.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Michael McDonald and his beard get a lot of run on the promos on SiriusXM Yacht Rock. They also have one about how Yacht Rock is “your fourth- and fifth-favorite songs from the late 70s and early 80s.” Perfect.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great placement of "Caught Up in You" in Spring Break when Nelson is looking for the girl in the Holiday Inn

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Gold Medal of Yacht Rock:

The Silver Medal of Yacht Rock:

The Bronze Medal of Yacht Rock:

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

In the summer of '80, I worked in an amusement park that had the local Top 40 station on loudspeakers 24/7. All the dreck that landed that summer has been drilled into my head permanently, the worst being Benny Nardones' "Into the Night." For the past nearly 40 years, any mention of jailbait, teen prostitution, student-teacher sex, etc., brings out a Pavlovian "She's just 16 years old/leave her alone/they saaaayyyyyy..."

dixiehack likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jerry Lee Lewis says they didn’t have permission to sing about him (so did Elvis and Polanski)

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Christopher Cross' Sailing all the way down in 10th? He's been robbed.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe it isn't michael Mcdonald - but dudes with beards.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Robbie Dupree did nothing but copy Michael McDonald. Cheap, bad copy at that.

At least McDonald is a serious musician with chops. And kudos to Terrier ... that track is creepy.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Each weekend, I love listening to the Top 40 countdowns on the XM 80s on 8 channel (along with American Top 40 on the 70s channel), and for me, the gold standard are the 1980-82 shows. Talk about a smorgasbord. Air Supply, Christopher Cross and Michael McDonald, of course, but also Rupert Holmes ("Him," "Answering Machine"), Kenny Rogers, Juice Newton ... that to me is the true Yacht Rock. My father loved that adult contemporary stuff when I was a kid, so hearing some of these songs flash me back to being in our '74 Ford Maverick or '79 Ford Pinto.

I have to say that the XM Yacht Rock channel is pretty terrible. I feel like it's a repeat of the same 30 songs (and I don't believe that Steely Dan is considered Yacht Rock), although since it moved to channel 70, they've added a few that I haven't heard before.

Draft saved Draft deleted