1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Means Yacht Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 5, 2019.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Nearly 40 years later, I still namecheck him during almost any discussion of underage sex.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That song is seriously creepy.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

Stick to Bertie Higgins and "Key Largo." Or something like that.

The opening lines of Mardones' piece should give us pause.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is this thread about Jose Fernandez?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree. The Doobies with McDonald in charge are much better, though his peak with them didn't last very long, maybe two albums tops. There's a couple of pre-McDonald songs I don't mind, but most of it is crappy boogie rock or acoustic bullshit like "Black Water".

The "Minute By Minute" album is their best. "Depending On You" is a pretty cool song.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At least Bread works as proto-Yacht Rock, as they're definitely an influence on crap outfits like England Dan & John Ford Coley, and "Baby Imma Want You" is a small guilty pleasure, but you're right, anything before '76 shouldn't count.

The worst they play that isn't Yacht is "Rock The Boat" by Hues Corporation. Not Yacht Rock at all, but you know some programmer got lazy and put it in the playlist because it has a nautical reference in the song title. Dumb.

I hate "Into The Night" and that damn "Georgie Porgie" song they play, but I suppose they are Yacht.

I heard "She's Gone" on there today. Not Yacht Rock. That's a straight up blue eyed soul song. Closer to Tavares (who covered it) than any Yacht bands.

Hall & Oates have some definite Yacht Rock songs, but they also have many more songs that are definitely not Yacht.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I always thought a "Southern rock" format would do well in Birmingham, Atlanta or Charlotte, but you suffer the same issues as Yacht Rock. You've either got to expand your definition of the genre past the 250 or so songs that define the term or face the problem of turning over your entire playlist every 8-10 hours, resulting in audience burnout.

At least SiriusXM gets your money upfront. (And why I never owned a radio station.)

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I read "Into the Night" and thought folks were talking about the B.B. King song and movie of the same name starring Goldblum and Pfeiffer.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Listened to a podcast about Creedence and learned how they were no where near the Bayou or the South but they were able to convey the "Swamp Rock" sound. I wish more people would act like we are all more alike than different.

maumann likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know so many Southern rock fans ... then again, spent plenty of years in the target area for it.

Don't know how I got to not being much of a fan of it. Never fit my ear (which I'm sure sounds about as silly as golfers claiming that certain courses "don't fit their eye" and will probably draw similar eyerolls).

maumann likes this.
  11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I never really thought of Hall & Oates as yacht rock. If you're looking to improve the playlist, they certainly wouldn't be out of place. I always felt like yacht rock was rooted in a late 70s sensibility. Sort of a companion to disco.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bumping this by three years. I hadn’t heard this song, except for one very scratchy time on AM, in more than 10 years. I had looked for it for probably as long, if not longer. I kept thinking it was Michael McDonald and the Doobies from the late 70s. Instead, it’s Sergio Mendes and it’s from ‘83.

It came on the radio today when one station did it’s daily flashback song. I cranked it up, and had a big smile on my face. So sue me.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted