1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer Means Yacht Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are the Doobies the most popular/honored/selling band not in the HOF? I can't say they really added to rock - or have been that influential - but they won grammys, had no. 1s, and had a strong run with success before and after the disco era.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've always thought Michael McDonald could have been one hell of a country singer. He has expressed his love for it before.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If they're not topping the list, they're up there.

It took forever for Jann and his flunkies to get Genesis and Rush in ... but harping on it gives him too much credibility. The credibility he doesn't deserve based on too many shaky picks over the years and omitting individuals and groups far more deserving.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Forgot about "It Keeps You Runnin'." Thank goodness the folks behind "Forrest Gump" didn't ... was a little too perfect for Forrest's cross-county run montage.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Heard 20 minutes ago while going to get ice cream

Has there been a better xylophone solo, EVER? I heart yacht rock!!

maumann and X-Hack like this.
  6. DanOregon

Dude - it's a marimba. Posted this classic earlier. Man this song is so rape-y.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A guy I know is a customs officer on the Canadian side of the Detroit-Windsor border and he often checks tour buses as they come over. He said the nicest tour bus he ever saw - by far - belonged to Christopher Cross.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Three Takeaways:
    1. That singer is the epitome of what a yacht rock singer should look like.
    2. If you are going to play a Xylophone, you might as well do it in a jumpsuit open to your navel.
    3. Not quite a solo, but the Violent Femmes feature a Xylophone on Gone Daddy Gone.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

It's amazing to me how many of these songs were bumper music for Art Bell.
    Christopher Cross (Ride Like the Wind), the Doobies, Atlanta Rhythm Section to name a few.
    I looked high and low for it last week but NFL Films had a knockoff of Ride Like the Wind during the Sam Spence era. Will keep looking.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Cool xylo also to be found on Arcade Fire's "Power Out" and a number of Frank Zappa tunes in his prime.

11. DanOregon

ITS A MARIMBA!!!!!!

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I hadn't really thought about the opening lyrics to "Into The Night" by Benny Mardones until yesterday on Ch. 70.

"She's just sixteen years old
    Leave her alone, they say
    Separated by fools
    Who don't know what love is yet
    But I want you to know

If I could fly
    I'd pick you up
    I'd take you into the night
    And show you a love
    Like you've never seen, ever seen"

Like a 16-year-old should know what love is?

Draft saved Draft deleted