1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer 2012 movie thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 20, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

More often than not, they are just taking the place of another action movie, so I den't think that is an issue. The issue is quality. Some have been damn good and some have really sucked, just like any other genre.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Just saying, people ask why the selection increasingly sucks the last few summers. The same damn movie is being made, over and over again. How far can this art be pressed? No risks being taken.

3. outofplace

The problem isn't comic book movies. The problem is too many of the people making them choosing origin stories. Some of these characters have decades of stories to tell. Sure, many of them won't translate, but others will. I still say it is the quality of the movies, or lack of quality, that is the problem, not the source material.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The more that get made the more crap that's going to be excreted. No shortage of them being made.

The source material for Wolverine, for example, was fine. Better than fine. And they still managed to fuck that movie up 100 ways.

5. outofplace

Which supports my point. The problem wasn't that it was a comic book movie. The problem was that it was a badly made movie.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't really gotten into the Batman movies since the first one with Michael Keaton when I was a kid, but the trailer for the new one looks pretty badass. I'll definitely see it. I figure I'll watch the two most recent ones to get myself caught up, if that's even necessary.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Marvel comics fan, who still has issues from the 1960s in his closet, I will probably see "Avengers." That's it. No interest in the rest, and I'm seeing that one more from a sense of duty to my childhood and adolescene than any other reason.

9. I know the reviews have not been kind, but the previews for the Three Stooges make me laugh out loud.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the original idea was to make a biopic, but obviously, they want to turn it into a franchise ...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All this talk about last summer's big movies and no mention of "Super 8"?

Someone mentioned "Looper," coming out this fall and starring JGL. Rian Johnson is the director, and he also directed Gordon-Levitt in the stylish indie high school noir film "Brick" a few years ago. My guess is that "Looper" will piss off some dedicated sci-fi fans just looking for a rush. Or ... it could be like "Inception" (but not suck) and have crossover appeal. Johnson seems like the nicest of nice guys whenever he's on "Filmspotting" as a guest host. He's a pretty young director who loves movies and talking about movies, and I think that's cool.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seems interesting that they're reuniting for their 13th anniversary.

Draft saved Draft deleted