1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Summer 2012 movie thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 20, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Prometheus looks awesome.

Batman and Bourne are intriguing but their storylines and characters are so familiar, not much anticipation here.

Total Recall, only saving grace is they at least did not touch Blade Runner.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Prometheus, Hunger Games, Dark Knight -- I'm going to have to sell off my kid to see all this stuff.

The trailers for Snow White and Spider-Man got me too

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I completely forgot to count Rise of the Planet of the Apes among last summer's blockbusters, which is stupid because it was my favorite of the summer by far.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the book, but Hunger Games looks an awful lot like a teen version of The Running Man.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If that's the best this summer has to offer, it's a pretty weak crop.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Or perhaps a re-telling of the Japanese book and film Battle Royale, except softened for the U.S. audience.

Anyway, those ripping last summer's comic book flicks might be forgetting X-Men: First Class.

Prometheus' intentions are made clear in the trailer with the font and reveal style used for the title.

I don't understand just who is clamoring for another Men in Black or G.I. Joe film. And Total Recall should stand as a dated but fun as hell Arnold-in-his-prime movie.

(Come on, who DOESN'T say that every single time they open a window? OH . . I mean, what?)

When's the one about his brother, the one who never amounted to anything?

The Bourne Loser, or some such . . .

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Dark Shadows premieres May 11, and depending on whether the cult fans of the small screen version love it or hate it (early returns on the trailer lean towards hate, apparently, since it seems Depp and Burton are going full-camp) it could be an early contender for biggest flop of the summer.

One of the movies with major buzz from Wondercon is Looper, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but that doesn't come out until the fall, alas.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes!

Total Recall is also his greatest "GGGGAAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!" film.

He never utters his immortal scream in the Terminator films. They are thus flawed.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not quite summer, but I really hope American Reunion will be worth seeing, tho I really doubt it will be.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I finally saw Green Lantern. Not sure how that is better than Thor or Captain America, but to each his own. I wasn't very impressed, though Sinestro and Killowog were cool.

I'm still hopeful about Avengers, but I doubt it will stack up with Dark Knight Rises.

I'm not sure that The Hunger Games is covering any fresh ground, but it certainly has a built-in fan base with teenagers.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

At what point do we get oversaturated with comic book movies?

Draft saved Draft deleted