1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sulphur Springs News Telegram SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Overrated, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll add this: From the experience I've had with certain people, they WILL NOT be filling this job in-house, if you get my drift.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

been told by someone who checked into this job that insurance sucks and there's no mileage reimbursement. how can a paper not offer mileage when we've passed the $4 mark?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bad link.

Salary?

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Sorry. Just click on the link and type in "sports" as the keyword.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Saw this was reposted last week on the TPA site. They must not have gotten many (qualified) applicants the first time around.

Anyone hear what Burney is going to do? I know he's a local boy and had the job for some time.

7. jps

jps Active Member

Would think with football tabs across the state well underway, they'd wanna get this thing taken care of before the fall rolls around.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Job has be re-posted on original Texas PA jobs link:

Taking final resumes for the sports editor's position at the Sulphur Springs News-Telegram. As leader of a two-person desk, you will cover one of the top-ranked quarterbacks in the nation and be there when ESPN broadcasts one of the SSHS games. We need someone with Quark and Photoshop experience as well as having covered a sports-friendly high school on a daily basis. Pay is in the mid-30s. Apply by July 27 either to sportsed@ssecho.com or by calling Butch Burney at 903-285-9976.

Talented youngsters could really do a lot worse. Good pay with a low cost of living.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm pretty sure SS doesn't go all out covering the UT beat. Doubt it matters if the publisher's obsessed with the Horns.

I never knew SS was perennially overrated as a town. Learn something knew every day.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

OK, you're entitled to your opinion based off what you've heard. I don't have any rooting interest in the job or town. I just know it's a two-man shop -- basically covering one school -- that pays exceedingly better than a number of one-man shops we see listed every day.

With the cost of living, someone could work there a year or two and actually save up some money for a rainy day. SS isn't a great town. It's slowly growing. For a young person wanting to make his or her mark on a paper, this is an opportunity to do so.

As far as the UT stuff goes...it doesn't matter. The paper doesn't cover UT, and like I said, you show me someone in this state who doesn't have their head up some football team's ass, I'll shake your hand. Hell, how many publishers have you ever met when you thought, "Man, that guy would make a great reporter! Too bad he's a publisher."?

Again, I'm not necessarily arguing you for any personal reasons. I'm just feisty today.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm plenty familiar with SS.

Lake Fork, the best largemouth bass lake in the country, is about 25 miles away. Covering the annual Toyota Texas Bass Classic would be a perk for whoever takes this (if you're into outdoors stuff, that is). It's a great event.

Plus, Rollison's gonna light it up this year. That should be fun to watch.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was told earlier this week the mileage rate has gone up -- from what to what, I have no idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted