1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sulphur Springs News Telegram SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Overrated, Jun 10, 2008.

1. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I understand the paper has a strong sports legacy, a strong sports legacy.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Sounds like they could really use a strong editor then.

3. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

A strong sports legacy doesn't run itself. A strong sports legacy does not.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Can you pledge this paper without being a legacy?

5. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

You'd be putting the ME in one hell of a pickle, that's for sure.

Once you're established as a strong sports legacy, any other option than a strong sports legacy is, well, something other than a strong sports legacy.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That would be, I believe, the Transitive Rule of Legacy.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pressboxer knows of what he speaks. If they pay their SEs in the low 30s, they are waaaayyy above scale for papers in the area.

Can't speak of the paper itself, but I do know their website is a joke. They don't update it for days at a time and withhold the breaking stuff, apparently to help the print circulation. One big plus, however: They are still locally owned.

SSHS plays Wichita Falls Rider in the ESPN game on Sept. 11 — on a Thursday, naturally, because the UIL prohibits televising games on Friday night.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

very true.

9. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Not to judge a book by its cover or anything, but it's what I do: The name of the town suggests bad things. Very bad things.

10. If nothing else, I give management some cred for mentioning salary up front. And if it's low 30s, that's surprisingly good in that neck of the woods. Can't vouch for the town, but a couple years building up clips and moving on isn't a bad idea. Plus you're close enough to D/FW to enterprise some weekend college/pro features on area grads. Having traversed a similar route myself, all in all, it's not a bad gig for an up-and-comer.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

My thoughts exactly, as I've explained to a person or two by PM. Cost of living is pretty decent. Definitely a liveable wage. It's a small town, but relatively close to DFW, and, the other way, Texarkana.

I'm pretty sure they're looking to hire someone pretty quickly if they find someone they think can do the job. I can't imagine this is going to be a long, drawn out process.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

If you're a fisherman, there are much worse places to move considering Lake Fork is right down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted