1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sulphur Springs News Telegram SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Overrated, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

From the Texas Press Association site:

http://db.texaspress.com/jobbank/*ws4d-db-query.ws4d

The Sulphur Springs News-Telegram, a Northeast Texas daily with a strong sports legacy, has an opening for a SPORTS EDITOR. As the leader of a two-man desk with a strong sports legacy, you can concentrate on one 4A high school with a half-dozen Class A schools in the county also needing attention. Quark, Photoshop and knowledge of AP Stylebook necessary. Pay in the low-30s with other benefits. Send resume and clips to sportsed@ssecho.com

I'm not from this paper, but I have some knowledge of the situation and area. PM me with questions if you're interested. I know Sulphur Springs has one of the top QBs in the state..and maybe the nation. I believe ESPN might cover a game or two...could be wrong, though.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know someone who used to work here and I can't say they really liked it that much.

Is it still an afternoon paper?

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

You get to see QB Tyrik Rollison if you take this gig.

I think ESPN has already committed to doing one of Sulphur Springs' games this year, but I can't remember which one. It's funny. Rollison's great, but Sulphur will be lucky to finish higher than fourth in its new district.

5. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Typical Texas town, from my experience there. Folks were nice enough.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Typical if you mean East Texas. Area's quite different from anything in Central, North, South, or West Texas.

7. guttix

guttix New Member

I heard East Texas was exactly like West Texas. I also heard the Spurs, fried Catfish and the mid-1800s suck.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Guttix, no need to turn a legitimate thread into an attack on my personal life. ;)

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That honestly might have been the greatest debut I've ever read. I've read it about three times and it still makes me laugh.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Don't encourage him. His entire purpose on this board will be to make my SJ life as miserable as possible. :D

11. Sulphur Springs is a hole.

That is all.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

For a town of 16,000 or so, it's produced a surprising number of NFL players. Damione Lewis (drafted No. 12 overall by Rams, now with Panthers) and Caleb Miller (third round by Bengals) were both pretty high draft picks. Another kid named Tyreo Harrison spent a couple of years with the Eagles, and Bam Morris was from just up the road in Cooper.

From what I've seen, the paper is heavy on the local high schools because there's nothing else. The closest college is DII Texas A&M-Commerce (formerly East Texas State) with the nearest DI being SMU. This time of year makes for lots of youth-league baseball and softball and whatever enterprise you can find. During the school year it's write, edit and paginate until you drop.

For pay to have actually gotten above $30,000 is rather amazing -- this was your typical $20,000-$25,000 type of shop for more than a decade. I don't think even the ME drew more than $30,000 until fairly recently.

My impression of the place is the locals believe themselves to be a lot more important than they really are, which I guess is pretty normal of small towns. It's the kind of place where people won't mingle socially with those who don't attend "the right" church.

One saving grace is the town is situated in Interstate 30 about 80 miles from downtown Dallas. I know they used to let the SE get credentials for the pro teams -- on his own time, of course. It sounds like the kind of place where a youngster can get in, work their ass off for a year, compile some clips and move on to a better place.

Draft saved Draft deleted